Barr CR 2200 circulation pump mod

mike660r

For those of you that have toiled with a MAG 2 on your calcium reactors. Take a look at this mod that I did. I swapped out that Mag 2 with an Iwaki-15RG. I couldn't find any data to support what the RG stands for. I feel that this will be a more stable setup to run.

The pumps are available on ebay for a very reasonable price. They are used of course. With an iwaki you really can't go wrong.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Nice work.

Why did you swap pumps? I am contemplating getting this model calcium reactor. The main concern I have is whether you get heat build-up from the pump being mounted below the unit.

I swapped pumps due to the Impeller wearing out on the MAG 2. It only lasted 3 months before it started rattling profusely. The pump does get hot. I would compare it to a cup of coffee on a temperature comparison. I am looking for a small fan to sit near it to cool the motor. I haven't decided exactly which fan to use. I know the new Barr products come with a Ehiem pump. I have personally never inspected one. I do know that the Iwaki pumps housings are very reliable.

Back