Bartlett's Anthias- more questions for those that keep them

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8621722#post8621722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
Heck, I've kept several types of Anthias and even Cirrhilabrus wrasses in open top aquariums without one ever carpet surfing.

Gary,

as Cirrhilabrus are in my main tank currently THE jumpers I am even more surprised the the Anthias jumped. I would therefore also assume that courtship or dominance fights might be the reason for the jumping.

I keep 3 harem groups of different Cirrhilabrus species and while interacting they regulary jump .... luckly the "sky" is almost completly covered with lamps ;) and I have a small frame around the tank.

I had 6 in a 100gal tank, It is an open top but never had any jump. I got all females, but in about a year and a half I had 5 males and 1 female, there was constant bickering but none got killed. Unfortunatly I had an accident and lost all six.

carpet surfers no more!
IMG_0607keeper.jpg

Wow, you ain't kiddin' around :D So what do you plan to get now? I saw that LiveAquaria had randall's anthias in stock ;)

Last edited:
I've got to rethink my stocking plans. I've always wanted certain wrasses that are notorious jumpers. Do Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus get along well with Anthias?

My flashers and lubbocks pay no attention to my anthias, and vice versa.

I currently have a square anthia and a male lineatus wrasse which have this little comedic act they go through. The square anthia is quite mellow and just "glides" around the water column, whereas the lineatus is on fish crack (it seems). Darting here and there, and racing up and down. Well, periodically the wrasse will flash to the anthia back and forth and up and down, but the anthia just sits there, like "how dumb are you, I'm not a wrasse". Not fighting or battling or anything, just the display. makes me laugh.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8721521#post8721521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
but the anthia just sits there, like "how dumb are you, I'm not a wrasse".

:lol: haha...anthias look like they think they're better than the other fish with that pointed upturned snout. This just proves it...

By the way, what is the singular of anthias? Is it "anthia", or is a single one still called an "anthias"? I laid awake all night trying to figure that out.

I just pronounce it differently.

Plural: antheeaaz

Single: Antheeus

LOL, is that right? :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8725160#post8725160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
By the way, what is the singular of anthias? Is it "anthia", or is a single one still called an "anthias"? I laid awake all night trying to figure that out.
The singular of Anthias is Anthias.

Back