BC 14 Sand discussion

Jblank44

So when I started my BC 14 I was told, by the stupid people in aquarium adventures that no nothing, that black gravel, the same as used for freshwater fish would be okay... wrong. That thing is a detritus trap. My nitrates continue to stay around 10-25 ppm. I do weekly 20-25% water changes, change the poly filter. Clean the walls and vacuum the gravel. So, my guess is the gravel is what is killing me, if I am wrong correct me. My question is, since I will be moving my tank in 3 weeks to a new place, what sand and type of bed should I put in. My LFS, Phishy Business which is an absolutely fantastic FS, told me to put in just enough sand to cover the bottom, get a sand sifting goby and a few more snails and I will be good to go. What do you guys think?

Here is my tank info on filtration:

Chamber one: Heater
Chamber two: InTank media basket
Top: Poly filter... Middle: Soon to be Cheato algae... bottom: Chemipure and Purigen.
Chamber three: Stock biocube sponge and pump

In my tank I have a Koralia 240... maybe it isnt positioned correctly to help keep things moving... idk.

Also have a Hydor wavemaker on my return pump powerhead that spins...

Here is a pic so you can see where stuff is...
tuvygybe.jpg

Not sure what is going on but would really appreciate advice, tips, and any help.

Thanks,
Jacob

who cares if you nitrates are 10-25. mine have been and stayed higher than that with no problems..... everything in the pic looks fine

BC 14 Sand discussion

who cares if you nitrates are 10-25. mine have been and stayed higher than that with no problems..... everything in the pic looks fine

Yes they look fine but are not growing, they just maintain their size

If you filter the gravel bed, I feel it would not be that. I feel the way your rocks are piled could have a bigger affect then the gravel bed.

Do you have any flow going between those rocks?

I use to pile rocks like that and have always experienced nitrate problems. However, since I've started aquascaping for maximum water flow, basically no dead spots between rocks, I've not had nitrates appear ever again.

I have the same issues with my sand bed. I have a 12 gallon JBJ nanocube with a 2 inch bed of oolite ( powdery white sand ) and I've got a hair algae problem.

If you filter the gravel bed, I feel it would not be that. I feel the way your rocks are piled could have a bigger affect then the gravel bed.

Do you have any flow going between those rocks?

I use to pile rocks like that and have always experienced nitrate problems. However, since I've started aquascaping for maximum water flow, basically no dead spots between rocks, I've not had nitrates appear ever again.

Well then what is aquascaping? I thought they got enough flow but could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back