Be kind, I am in a pickle.

Captive/farm/tank bred means that the parents spawned in captivity and the fry was raised in a tank.

Captive/farm/tank raised means that either eggs, larva or juveniles were collected wild and then raised in captivity. The latter is common practice with tuna.
An additional option to this with fish like seahorses (or lobsters) would be to collect "pregnant" parents and have the fry hatch in captivity before returning the parent to the wild.
Under this category there are also a few other options like for example how salmon eggs are obtained and fertilized, but those would not work for seahorses.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Had a WC with the same gas bubbles under the snout. Really thought she could not eat but since she did not die I had to assume she was eating somehow. Later I discovered that she hunts a little at night. Two known causes of gas bubbles are bacterial and from being brought to the surface too fast when first caught. Keep water up quality and use the deepest container you have. One day I looked in the tank after a few months and the bubbles were gone, just like that, they vanished overnight. It took months and I was never sure she would make it. But since she never gave up, I didn't either. Keep temp between 72-74, I actually did not even have a heater in her tank.

That is very interesting information about the "being brought to the surface to fast when first caught". I did not know that seahorses lived that deep where that type of issue would be a cause. I know from videos and articles about fish collecting they are usually caught by skin divers and now scuba divers but still thought they were caught under 50' of water.
Never amazes me to find new info.. I will definitely have to do some extra research on this topic.
Do you still have seahorses?

That is very interesting information about the "being brought to the surface to fast when first caught". I did not know that seahorses lived that deep where that type of issue would be a cause. I know from videos and articles about fish collecting they are usually caught by skin divers and now scuba divers but still thought they were caught under 50' of water.
Never amazes me to find new info.. I will definitely have to do some extra research on this topic.
Yes. This was due to uninformed LFS having terrible water quality. I try to help when I can and they contacted me, But yes, I have many seahorses and love them dearly. I try to help if I can, and I preach good care practices to anyone that will listen. Lol. I have several species of CB seahorses and try to learn from everyone I meet.

Yes. This was due to uninformed LFS that contacted me, having terrible water quality. But yes I have many seahorses and love them dearly. I try to help if I can, I preach good care practices to anyone that will listen. Lol.

I

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

@Dogshowgrl - You have my complete respect. This hobby needs many more like your good self. At least the poor thing had some love at the end.

@Dogshowgrl - You have my complete respect. This hobby needs many more like your good self. At least the poor thing had some love at the end.
Thank you. That means more to me than you know.

I can't talk credit for this. I have great peers that help me. I come from a family of conservationists and veterinarians that love to teach and will help for medications and supplies most don't have access to. When I got into the hobby I found a great LFS like no other. I hate saying LFS because it doesn't do them justice. The owner quickly became my best friend. Even in this often wasteful hobby, she stands tall and shares all of her knowledge. She breeds anything she can and loves talking about all the "first of a species" people have accomplished in the basement of their homes and how that is how the hobby will move forward. Small scale to add to the knowledge and prove there is a market for more commerical aquaculture. Could you ask for anything more!?

I may not know all the answers, but I make the decisions based on my current knowledge to gain knowledge for the future.

If we all keep our trade secrets to ourselves, we can't move forward, we just keep trying to find each other's secrets.

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Try it yourself, don't spread information you have not vetted. Never stop learning.

Back