beckett enclosure

slug

I was having trouble getting the tiny bubbles I wanted with my diy beckett skimmer because the enclosure for the fountain head leaked air. While looking for ideas to make it better I came across a perfect pre-built enclosure. The beckett fits in it perfectly, anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• dcp_1062.jpg
    dcp_1062.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi,
That is a PVC span coupling. It is used to repair broken PVC pipe. I like to use them on the output of protein skimmers.

Eventually something will get caught in your beckett and you'll want to take it out and clean it...

do you have any pics and does it work really good for you have any one built one skimmer as a diy with 4 of this and how it works i am intrest in making a skimmer with this type

I built this same encloseure, and it works pretty good ( once you figure out how to make the beckett fit inside ).

I have one issue: The becket is leaking from the seam above the air holes. The leak is big enough that water leaks out of the air hole in the enclosure. The only thing I could think of was to glue the beckett together with model airplane glue, and tape it good. I wasnt positive if the plastic of the beckett was the proper type for the glue, but I'll know tonight when I see if it bonded.

Anyone else have this problem with a beckett?

I tested the beckett all by itself with the parts that came with it, and it still leaks, so it's not how I fit it in the enclosure.

I am using a MAG 9.5 to drive it.

I am wondering if it is a cheap knock-off, and not the real thing....

Stu

do you have some type of plan or anyting i can built a similar skimmer like the mrc i have the tools and material just need to see some pictures of the actual skimmer or detales and what i have to do in the inside of the skimmer any one is crazy like me but i am trying to built one i have the idea but dont know how is it in side the contaener thanks please help :confused:

slug,

Thanks for the link.

I built mine almost the same.

I dont have any rubber o-rings. One end ( the smaller ) still has the beckett factory 'sleeve' to keep it together, it slipped into the upper portion with little sanding.

The lower I removed the factory piece & just wraped with teflon tape until it fits snugly into the bottom of the fitting.

I also got the exact same air valve to fit in with no Tap. I drilled it to 1/2, then expanded the hole with my dremmel until the valve would just barely fit, the threads will 'catch' just fine and hold water tight ( I would never try that with 40 PSI water supply however ).

As I stated, I took the Beckett with all factory pieces, and I stuck it into a 1" Vinyl tubing ( It fit perfectly, I had to cut the tubing off to get it loose ). I then connected the 1" vinyl to my Mag 9.5.

Next I dipped the 'output' side of the beckett into the surface of my sump & turned on the pump. It blew bubbles like crazy, but there was major leakage from the seam between the two halves above the air holes ( the pressurized side ).

The glue appeared to hold, so I will tape the outside of the beckett with some space-flight teflon tape for added insurance and stick it back in.

I'll post if it works. ( BTW this is for my 5 Gallon Bucket Skimmer thread on rocky Mountain Reef Central Forum ).

As I said, I bet I got a cheap knock-off, and not a real Beckett ( it still says Beckett - Made in china on the lower bushing face )

Stu

Back