Beginner. New Tank Advice

Mancuarist

Greets all, looking for some guidance. This will be my first saltwater aquarium, I have a small freshwater one. I'm not going to rush it, still learning. :reading:

It will be a mixed reef tank. Starting my shopping list - I guess a tank should be at the top right? Looking at 4 models. I know there may be better options than these but it's a matter of cost. I'm in the UK.

• Waterbox Marine 45.2
  • TMC Reef Habitat 60
  • Aqua One ReefSys 180
  • Aquarium Systems L'Aquarium 2.0 250

Would love to hear thoughts on recommended kit and things to avoid. Thanks all .:beer:

As large as possible, length as much as possible, and I'm gathering you're talking in liters. Marine fish grow bigger than most freshwater, excepting blennies and gobies. The longer your tank the more cost for lighting, but you can zone it from bright to dim at the other end. Personally I have a bowfront with only one light kit, but the side to side swimming room is not great. I pick fish that aren't real active swimmers, except the chromis, who just swims back and forth. You'll need a sump below, a separate tank that's just equipment: skimmer, heater, pump. You can use that space as a refuge for the not-reef-friendly crab, or the fish that's going to have to find a home elsewhere, or for bits of rock you might need later.

Start by reading the stuck threads at the top of this forum for things that will help you.

Ditto on buying a big tank. A lot of fish (tangs, angels, mandarinfish, pipefish, eels, etc.) need at least a 150 gallon tank. Or if you want to keep multiples of the same species, you need a very large tank with plenty of caves, tunnels, and rockwork so they don't kill each other. Most saltwater fish are jerks and enjoy nothing more than tearing each other's fins apart, or forcing their victims to jump out of the tank. Speaking of which you ABSOLUTELY NEED a tight fitting lid for the tank. You can also buy special mesh and frames for reef tanks to go over the top of your tank (again, don't just DIY something since it can severely impact the PAR of any light that passes through it; you don't have to worry if you aren't going to keep coral). A few months back my convict chased three clownfish out of the tank, DESPITE IT BEING COVERED, before we rectified the situation. Stressed fish will jump through even the smallest of gaps in the cover in order to escape an aggressor.

Anyways, you'll probably want to go with fairly docile fish, with decent lifespans, who stay relatively small, and are captive-bred (no matter how much research you do, you will never be prepared to try to get a will-caught marine fish to eat. Heck, it's hard to teach captive-bred fish to eat, unless they were bred by ORA). So, what fish probably aren't a good idea? Here:

Pipefish (require live food and a species tank)
Seahorses (require live food and a species tank)
Mandarinfish (eat a ton,require multiple feedings throughout the day, are very shy feeders, and require live food unless obtained from ORA)
Angelfish (aggressive, mostly wild-caught, need large tanks, often eat coral, and need to have sponges in their diet to ensure proper digestive health and behaviour and a long life)
Yellow tangs (I'd only really recommend captive-bred blue tangs or captive-bred/sea pen raised convict tangs; all other tangs are either massive, aggressive, too active, are harvested unsustainably/using cruel methods)
Damselfish (they may be small, and they may live in groups in the wild, but they're bloodthirsty little psychos in captivity)
Butterflyfish (very few survive capture and quarantine; over 90% end up dying)
Any large predator (lionfish, groupers, etc.)
Wrasse
Dottybacks (they can be extremely territorial and aggressive)

Really, the only beginner fish I'd recommend are (all of these are available captive-bred; make sure the individual you are buying is captive-bred before purchasing):
Ocellaris clownfish (live a long time, don't require much room, eat well, docile unless threatened; can be kept in a nano)
Skunk clownfish (same as Ocellaris, except they're far more timid and docile and are easily bullied to death by other fish; can be kept in a nano)
Pyjama cardinalfish (inactive, can be kept in a school)
Banggai cardinalfish (only buy captive-bred ones, and be aware that they often carry the 100% fatal Banggai cardinalfish iridovirus; don't require much space, inactive)
Striped blenny or mimic blenny (they have amazing personalities, eat well, are very gentle, and are highly interactive)
Chalk bass (only available as wild-caught, so I'd wait until they're available captive-bred seeing as over 80% of wild-caught fish die before making it to your tank)
Blue tang (I'd recommend at LEAST a 5' long tank since they're very active; among tangs, they are one of the least aggressive, but they're also fairly anxious fish)
Convict tang (can actually fit fairly comfortably in a 100 gallon tank; less aggressive than most tangs)
Nearly any captive-bred goby (cute, tiny, good for nano tanks; they have short lifespans, so you need to replace them every few years which increases the risk of infecting your tank; watchman gobies have a decent lifespan)

Oh, as for cost? Assume everything's gonna cost AT LEAST $10,000 in total. Don't try to cut costs, since you'll just end up spending extra money to solve problems caused by trying to be thrifty.

I'd hold off on corals for a year or two. Focus on keeping fish alive and providing them with stable conditions. Patience is the most challenging aspect of the hobby. Get a quarantine tank setup from the start and learn how to get fish through this very important process. Unfortunately, most new fish will have some kind of ailment that needs treatment. Without it, they infect your other fish and they all die. I know this sounds grim, but if you accept this from the start, you'll have great success and enjoy yourself so much more. Cheers!

Ugh, going off of what Michael said, I'd recommend quarantining at least four months like they do at zoos and aquariums. There's a number of illnesses that won't cause any symptoms to appear until the four month mark (for example, Banggai cardinalfish iridovirus).

The recent batch of captive-bred Banggai I bought had been at the store for over a month, and it wasn't until the second week of quarantine at home that they began to show symptoms. Now they're dropping like flies. $500 worth of fish who ate well, looked completely healthy, and behaved normally during the first the first week of quarantine are now all dying. I've sent one of them off to a lab for a complete necropsy with bacterial cultures and everything. Absolutely no idea as to what's wrong with them.

Man, it's a pain, but any time a fish dies I'd recommend sending the corpse off for a detailed post-mortem. Could turn out to be something extremely contagious and untreatable, and you don't want to be adding it's asymptomatic tank mates to the display tank since it's only a matter of time until your whole tank is wiped out.

Amazing advice, thank you all. I threw this question up on a few reefing forums - to gauge the forums as much as anything. These were by far the most detailed and useful replies I got, so thanks all.

I'm definitely starting with easy docile fish and probably hold off the corals for a while. Teddscau, oh man that must have been awful to lose your fish like that, sorry to hear it. I'll make QT a priority.

My long-term plan is indeed to get a big tank of 150+ gallons. I was thinking this first smaller tank would be where I "dip my toe" and make my mistakes (hopefully none!). Perhaps I should go smaller with 1 or 2 small fish and save some money that can go towards "the big one". I could re-purpose the nano as a QT tank in the future. Decisions, decisions. Would the Fluval Evo be big enough for a QT tank?

$10K ouch. Back to the books, forums and YouTube. Keep on learning

For most fish, a Fluval Evo should be big enough to use as a quarantine tank. Some of the fish we're hoping to get down the road will definitely be too big to fit in our current quarantine tank (we're hoping to locate a foxface and a powder brown tang who have outgrown their tanks), so we'll probably get a really large Rubbermaid container or a plastic pond liner for quarantining them. Heck, we might even stick em in the bathtub in the basement if we have to. Actually, that's a pretty could idea since you can clean the tub easily.

For a simple "starter" tank (I'd get at least a 30g since larger tanks are easier to maintain) you could go with a pair of either pink skunk clownfish or Ocellaris clownfish, a striped blenny (I've only ever had one, but she's very sweet), a couple of pyjama cardinalfish (as with all the others, get captive-bred), a few peppermint shrimp (try to find captive-bred), maybe a few scarlet hermit crabs, a couple of nassarius snails. You could probably fit another fish in (maybe a captive-bred jaguar goby or watchman goby). You could try keeping it as a macroalgae tank.

You'll see a lot of newbies with a pair of clowns, a yellow tang, a coral beauty angelfish, a couple of cardinalfish, a firefish, a couple of damsels, a chromis, a watchman, etc., but that's honestly way too much, and they'd probably end up killing each other in a small tank. "Technically" most of those fish can physically fit in a tank that size, but they'll get extremely territorial and just terrorize each other. Plenty of fish will be perfectly behaviour, but after a few months they just start murdering each other. Basically, just use common sense with smaller tanks. Don't be putting energetic, territorial, or fish that grow more than 3" in there, and the fewer fish, the better.

Oh, you should check out Coral Magazine. For a beginner coral (once all your parameters are super stable and you're no longer cycling the tank) I'd recommend dendrophyllia. They're NPS corals, meaning they get all their energy from eating meat, rather than using photosynthesis. They're really fun to feed.

Oh, that reminds me. You'll want to get a target feeding stick. It's good for keeping corals and live rock free of detritus, and it's great for feeding corals and shy invertebrates. Oh! And random flow generators (RFG). Look into those. They're great for providing enrichment for your fish by providing them with an unpredictable flow of water within their tank.

Newbie Seeking Cycling Advice

Newbie Seeking Cycling Advice

Hello, I actually lost my last post of this nature somewhere in RC:eek2: So, here I go again...I am really new to reefing (and RC):wave:. A little about my journey...I started out with a jellyfish tank a little over two months ago and am close to the end of cycling that tank and ready to bring my jellies home. Anyway, during the cycling process of that tank, I started researching reefing and it intrigued me. So, I bit the bullet and purchased a Biocube 32. So far, I like it. So, I bought some live rock and went through the stinky process of curing and finally got it in my tank to start the cycling process (4 days in). With that being said I have a few questions:
1. Should I run the protein skimmer during the cycling process?
2. Should I get the refugium going in the cycling process?
3. My water is still very cloudy and I was wondering if I should do something about it, if so what or let it ride? My ammonia level just spiked to 8.0 (should I do something about that?)
4. Feeding: When I get the fish, coral, crabs and snails, what is the best food combination I should feed them and the best method of feeding them?
Any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning from all of you and hope I can add something to the conversation as well:beer:.

Welcome Rogersaw. What may have happened when you lost your last post is that you did what you've done here - posted in someone else's thread. It's okay to chime in with additional questions on other threads but your post asks enough that you'd be better served by starting your own.

Ideally you'd start a new thread. Go to the "New to the Hobby" forum and click the "New Thread" button at the top left. That gives you your own thread with your own title. That shouldn't get lost.

Make sense? I hope this helps you get the most from RC. There are a lot of very helpful people around here!

Let it ride until the cycle is finished. Lights OUT as long as possible will help with the dreaded algae. Corals do not have to be fed with few exceptions. As far as food you will get plenty of opinions but New Life Spectrum pellet foods are good, they come in various sizes.

Back