Berlin-Reef 2.0

Actually I have another question.. what is sangokai

Hey Matt, here for you (sangokai): http://sangokai.org/?lang=en

Dennis, that is a lot of trouble you are dealing with.
Hope you get through this.

Maybe an ICP test from a water sample can give more insight?

Hey janci, I will do ICP in the next weeks.

Dennis i love your tank. Its going to be beautiful when you get it figured.

What is the ph at? Do you have a Ph monitor or Apex? Try to drive the PH higher with Kalk or Co2 scrubber and see if that helps limit the Algae growth.

In my tank everything seems to do better with higher PH 8.1 or higher. I had constant trouble with Algae and then I bought an Apex and saw that even though my Red Sea kit showed what i thought was 8.1- 8.2 on the card it was actually 7.9 dipping to 7.75 before the lights came back on.

I drove the ALk up to 10 which helped get ph higher and then added a Co2 scrubber which boosted my ph over 8.1 and then ALk and Calcium usage took off and I had to go from using almost no 2 part to 100ml of ALk and 60 ml calcium additive a day. Almost overnight I notice Coraline growth pick up and all my corals looking healthier. Even My tang looks more healthy and colorful.
IMO the higher PH even helps the good bacteria and Zeo system work better as I've been able to cut way back on my Carbon dosing with almost no rise in PO4.

I suspect the Carbon was one of the reasons for the low PH.

Good luck

Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for you words! :beer: This is the next step I want to try. But first I check the PH. But this can be a fact for the Problems.

I dont use Apex or other for PH control. I think you are right with your tipps. I will use a co2 scrubber soon.

I feel i've turned the corner with my tank with the higher PH and now with more patience i'll be in good shape.

If you can, I would sklp the CO2 scrubber due to cost and implement Kalk Dosing instead but the Kalk may be harder and slower to dial in especially with SPS. Be prepared for a noticeable drop in Alk and Calcium readings as demand goes up with the higher
ph.

I only had a BRS CO2 scrubber cartridge full of media last me 3 days when I first put it online. I made a giant scrubber out of Pvc pipe which I estimate may last me three weeks at a cost of $45 for the media. There are cheaper places to purchase the media but I'm going to switch to Kalk and use 2 part for any larger adjustments.

I'll be following along with your tank.

I feel i've turned the corner with my tank with the higher PH and now with more patience i'll be in good shape.

If you can, I would sklp the CO2 scrubber due to cost and implement Kalk Dosing instead but the Kalk may be harder and slower to dial in especially with SPS. Be prepared for a noticeable drop in Alk and Calcium readings as demand goes up with the higher
ph.

I only had a BRS CO2 scrubber cartridge full of media last me 3 days when I first put it online. I made a giant scrubber out of Pvc pipe which I estimate may last me three weeks at a cost of $45 for the media. There are cheaper places to purchase the media but I'm going to switch to Kalk and use 2 part for any larger adjustments.

I'll be following along with your tank.

hey :wavehand: thank you for your words! I will do it :spin2:

hey little update...
i dimmed the light for 2 Weeks...
and give the BK a bit more power.
After that, I made a big Waterchange (120l) with the water of a friends tank!

Since 1 week the lamp has its normal setting. No cyanos no Dinos.. nothing! Now its clean, like we all love it :)

I add
1 leucosternon
1 centropyge loricula
5 Sphaeramia nematoptera
1 chelmon rostratus

to bring more bio in it (NO3 and PO4) ;)

I also installed a new deBary UV-25W. as far as it look good... hope the tank is now ready for some SPS and LPS frags to start it, like we all want to.

Now I test the pH to see if I need a CO2 Skimmbreeze...at the moment I use JBL.. ;/ but not so easy to ident the color .. it could be 7,5 :bigeyes::frog:
:)

little update from Germany :)

Hey, everything is ok at the moment :) no algae left. Everything is clean and stabil.

I add some new frags from time to time to fill the tank ;)
Now Im using Balling Light.. so no jet stream. it is realy easy and stabil. Ca and kh is perfekt every day. Im really happy about it.
Ca: 420 (dosing 6x/ day 5 ml)
KH: 8 (dosing 6x/ day 17 ml) not much but with more frags in the tank i need to add it from time to time.
I build a stand for it to keep it clean
43982777721_b19ae4d762_b.jpg

43982777561_1907001d81_b.jpg

29044864467_7bf2d920d9_b.jpg

So I can see a constant consumption!

I also add a de Bar UV 25W
43982777421_82da531020_b.jpg

The next step was the flow... I wasn't realy happy with it. the two Red Dragon 8.000 are great but you all know, flow is realy important for sps.
so ... I add 3 Tunze 6095

29044864367_562bcd59ef_c.jpg

Now Im focused on the zen method

Here's what I'm dosing right now:
1,5l zeo
Bak: 6dr / twice a week
start: 0,75 ml /day
thats it. later I need to order sponge BB an vitalizer

Hey Dennis!

Nice stand you´ve got there!

happy to hear that your algae is gone and now you really can start with the tank!

3 Tunze? wow!

good luck!!

Flo

Hey it dosn‘t work realy well.
I dont know what the Problem is. I‘ve Never had this Problems before.
The sps are Not realy healthy and no growth... -.-
Today I send my water to ATI for a ICP After that I will see what Happens ... :(
So after over a year now, it realy s****...

Hey it dosn"˜t work realy well.
I dont know what the Problem is. I"˜ve Never had this Problems before.
The sps are Not realy healthy and no growth... -.-
Today I send my water to ATI for a ICP After that I will see what Happens ... :(
So after over a year now, it realy s****...

Sorry to hear that, Dennis.
Luckily we are reefers and have patience.... :headwally:

If there is anything we can help with, please let us know.

hey sis freaks... here are the ICP results. i think its ok... as I expected. Jod is to low :hmm4:
What do you mean :)?
32955706138_19c51c681f_c.jpg

32955708178_5fcbe7fff3_c.jpg

39866130203_34db0014de_c.jpg

The result of my RO/DI water is perfekt :) Im happy about it

Hey Dennis, why not try raising ca, lowering your alk and dosing iodine and strontium and manganese.. and zinc for that matter..
I remember Jbny had similar issues and after he started dosing those elements, it helped a lot... and then I think he moved to Triton..
Have a look at Prodibio Bioptim. It has most of what you are missing. I know it is marketed as a nutrient for bacterial growth but it has a lot of beneficial elements for sps..
Glad the algea issues finally went away!

The ICP of ATI measures the total phosphorus and calculates the available Po4 only. Your values ​​are catastrophic. For ATI you should have about 0.08 at po4 then it is even less at about 0.03 with other analyzes. I did a reference measurement at the same time with another lab, which directly measures the available po4.
Nitrate is way too high for po4 and kh too. KH I would hold on 7 and dose po4
I suppose you are dosing nitrogen at the high levels? With that you lower po4 even further

Hey Dennis, why not try raising ca, lowering your alk and dosing iodine and strontium and manganese.. and zinc for that matter..
I remember Jbny had similar issues and after he started dosing those elements, it helped a lot... and then I think he moved to Triton..
Have a look at Prodibio Bioptim. It has most of what you are missing. I know it is marketed as a nutrient for bacterial growth but it has a lot of beneficial elements for sps..
Glad the algea issues finally went away!

Hey Matt,:wavehand:
Thanks for your advise.. thats what I will do. Ca is now at 410 at the Moment and KH 8,0. On Sunday I start dosing Fauna Marin Trace 1 - 3.
I'm happy too, that the algea went away :)

prodibio: I dont know... I dont want to mix the Systems... Korallenzucht/Fauna Marine

The ICP of ATI measures the total phosphorus and calculates the available Po4 only. Your values ​​are catastrophic. For ATI you should have about 0.08 at po4 then it is even less at about 0.03 with other analyzes. I did a reference measurement at the same time with another lab, which directly measures the available po4.
Nitrate is way too high for po4 and kh too. KH I would hold on 7 and dose po4
I suppose you are dosing nitrogen at the high levels? With that you lower po4 even further

Hi Reiser,
thank you.
I use zeovit 1000 ml/ with 400l/h.
6 Drops of Bak twice a week
6 Drops of Sponge Power 3 times a week
zeo start is not in use at the Moment. (PO4 is the reason)

I dont know what is the best way to higher the po4 lvl?!

Back