Best Dual GFO/Carbon Reactor On The Market for 165G Tank?

irishmarine

Hi all,

So I set up a Spectrapure dual carbon/GFO reactor. The long and short is despite a new pump, all the correct plumbing checked a million times, cleaning it with vinegar and water flush to make sure everything is ok, the GFO is just simply not even tumbling. I get extremely slight movement at the surface but im not even sure if its working.....so whats the point in running GFO/Carbon if it may not even be getting used.

Whats the best one on the market for a 165 gallon
Remember a 165G takes 41 tablespoons of BRS GFO....I even cut it to half this to see if that was the reason, nope still nothing

If there is water going in an water coming out (easy to see) then your reactor is likely working just fine.. For GFO you measure the output water and when its registering phosphates the media may likely be exhausted..

Decent tumbling is really for biopellets to knock off bacterial clumps to be exported via skimming, etc...

Too much movement with GFO/Carbon will just grind them up in to dust over time..

Not sure how the Spectrapure unit is setup but many people run media in the water filter type canister reactors like that one seems to be backwards from normal flow direction also..
What pump are you using BTW?

Running both in the same reactor is not the best.
GFO needs to "tumble slightly" on the surface whereas Carbon needs a greater flow.
However if the water coming out of the reactor is lower in Phosphate than the tank water it is working.

Back