Best light spectrum for macro algae ?

rogergolf66

im an addict lol
Everything I read says red and blue but most lights I see are 6500k my guess is that's because 6500k is sun light. What's everyone's thoughts? I was going to get a Kessil amazing sun 6500k but kessil also makes a grow light for plants. Is that better? It's different shades of reds and blues

A lot depends on the specific macro algae. Different algae live at different depths and would therefore likely grow best at different spectra.

Depends on the macro. Green algae generally grows in shallow water. Therefore it does better at a full spectrum like 6000k to 6500 k. Red algae on the other hand grows at greater depths. It uses more blue light and would do better at something around 10k probably.
Different types of algae (green, red, and brown are separate phyla and not just colors) have varying pigments in them that they use for photosynthesis and that's why their needs can vary. They are not terrestial plants and do not have the exact same photosynthetic needs.
So what species are you growing and what type of light are you looking to use?

Roger, what I have read about is with leds and elaborates on the different spectrums of blues and your standard red. The spectrum 460-480nm and reds help with blooming and the 440-460nm is for growth. There are a lot of china grow lights with those spectrums that will easily grow macro algae.

I am partial to Reefgrow lately. A new fuge light will be coming in the somewhat near future. You said if we could pick any light. Money would be no object in that case. ;)

Roger, a few years ago I setup a macro tank and used a Ray Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights. I use same light on my planted discus. Not only was growth great it didn't need much. One unit did t

Depends on the macro. Green algae generally grows in shallow water. Therefore it does better at a full spectrum like 6000k to 6500 k. Red algae on the other hand grows at greater depths. It uses more blue light and would do better at something around 10k probably.
Different types of algae (green, red, and brown are separate phyla and not just colors) have varying pigments in them that they use for photosynthesis and that's why their needs can vary. They are not terrestial plants and do not have the exact same photosynthetic needs.

I don't have a specific algae picked out. I want the ability to change my mind. So a mix of red,blue and white is ideal then everyone is happy.

Thx everyone very helpful.

I am looking at ordering the bottom one then. Any thoughts?
http://reefradiance.com/refugium-leds.html

The dm12e

Roger

I'm growing cheato like crazy ....like softball size to bed pillow size in a few months with a cheap $15.00 led flood light equivalent to a 90 watt bulb from home depot ..can't get any cheaper than that

I'm growing cheato like crazy ....like softball size to bed pillow size in a few months with a cheap $15.00 led flood light equivalent to a 90 watt bulb from home depot ..can't get any cheaper than that

Yes I haves used them before. I want to do kind of a display refuge so I wanted an nice light and I wanted led.

I looked at those for the planted tank I am setting up, but saw a lot of reports of the prior planted plus model dying after a year or two. Also found a lot of complaints that Finnex denied most warranty claims due to "exposure to moisture".
It was enough to send me in a different direction.

What did u go with instead?

Lee if you want to see mine I have been running old unit for over 2 years. So far so good. I only upgraded to new recently for timer control and price was reasonable. I originally learned about it from planted forums.

What did u go with instead?

I ended up getting a 36x18 50g tank to setup as a freshwater planted tank. Looked a lot of options but decided to keep it cheap to start with so I am using ine of the canopies from my prior setup and running the t5 retrofit with only 2 bulbs to stay at lower light.

Lee if you want to see mine I have been running old unit for over 2 years. So far so good. I only upgraded to new recently for timer control and price was reasonable. I originally learned about it from planted forums.

I believe they work; saw the recommended a lot on plantedtank. But I saw a lot of issues with them as well.
But I agree that they are a very popular relatively inexpensive option.

Roger hands down the best macro growing bulb I have found is a compact fluorescent 5100k flood light. It's obviously not the prettiest bulb or spectrum but it grows all types of macro like weeds. If you search it on melvsreef you will find a nice write up on a test that was done with cheato using this type bulb. I have ran it 2 separate times in my fuge and it grew any type of macro I put in there like crazy!

Roger hands down the best macro growing bulb I have found is a compact fluorescent 5100k flood light. It's obviously not the prettiest bulb or spectrum but it grows all types of macro like weeds. If you search it on melvsreef you will find a nice write up on a test that was done with cheato using this type bulb. I have ran it 2 separate times in my fuge and it grew any type of macro I put in there like crazy!

Thx for imput. I have used them before. I really want to go led this time around

Back