Best Nitrate test kit?

luther1200

Premium Member
I like the Salifert kit. Becasue at a low level you can look through the side and see the color better, and then divide by 10. And it is very fast and easy to do.

tmz

ReefKeeping Mag staff
Premium Member
I like the salifert and the API. Prefer the Salifert for ease of use and reading.

sedor

I have only ever used API, and I am getting ready to upgrade all my reef tests to salifert. IMO ATI is very hard to determine NO3 at low levels because the colors look so similar. I may be wrong about this but I think Salifert determines its level by the number of drops you use to change the liquids color. In other words, you get an exact number as opposed to guessing between 0 - 10 or so.

reef_doug

Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. I use Salifert for Ca, Alk & Mg. I'll try them for Nitrate also.

If anyone has direct experience between Salifert & Elos for Nitrate, I'd like to know the differences.

Tony Romano

No Salifert is regent as well. Elos and Salifert show color when API reads zero.

I use all three and suspect I will end up using Elos or LaMotte and API in long run. API for daily testing when I am adjusting something in tank. Then use better kit for weekly or bi-weekly testing.

API is cheap and pretty good quality for the $$.

I don't think there is such a thing as an exact number that is 100% reliable with hobby test kits. I've only reached zero with Salifert one time is lots of years, most of the time it has a light pink. I am curious how many of you guys get 100% clear reading on Salifert or Elos?