best place to buy a co2 tank

Yinger

Premium Member
I've been calling everywhere to get a good price on an aluminum co2 cylinder. Anyone know of any welding stores nearby that carries 10lb aluminum cylinders for a good price? Thanks in advance.

I do the "airgas" thing too. I bought a steel cylinder and just exchange it each time. If they have a full one, I get an aluminum one in exchange, if not I get steel.

thanks for the input guys, i actually just bought one off of amazon.com. Signed up for the credit card and got 30 bucks off haha. 10 lb alumin. I'll just take it in to get filled.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090518#post8090518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Yinger
thanks for the input guys, i actually just bought one off of amazon.com. Signed up for the credit card and got 30 bucks off haha. 10 lb alumin. I'll just take it in to get filled.

Just curious, how much was it? I want to get a 10 lb tank to replace my 5 pounder. Thanks.

I got mine at airgas as well. I paid $125 for a 20lb (filled) steel one. When I went to pick my tank up there was some alumunum ones there as well and the guy said I could choose those for the same price as the steel ones. The alum ones looked practically new.

How often are 10lbs CO2 tank refilled. And the 5lbs? On a 110g tank.

Im just about to order my CA Reactor. But I might need to sacrifice using a smaller tank since I have no room:(

They are 112 i think for the 10 lbs, but they were out of aluminum ones. I'm hoping that i'd only hafta refill it once a year.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8091073#post8091073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cthetoy
I got mine at airgas as well. I paid $125 for a 20lb (filled) steel one. When I went to pick my tank up there was some alumunum ones there as well and the guy said I could choose those for the same price as the steel ones. The alum ones looked practically new.

Which Airgas did you get yours at? Is it the one on 4th Street?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8091208#post8091208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
Which Airgas did you get yours at? Is it the one on 4th Street?

Yes the one on 4th St in Rancho Cucamonga. All the filled tanks are outside so you can actually take a look to see if there are any aluminum ones first before you go inside to pay. Tip: 20lb is the most common size out there.

sam i got my 10lb tank out here for a lil over 100 filled then u just turn it back in and pay 10 bucks again to take a new one with more gas in it.....

anyways this tank ive had hooked up for a lil over 6 months and its got about 1 month left im guessing the CO2 is down to around 12lbs left in the tank and it started at around 60-65lbs....

so u should get around 8-9 months or more depending on how much calcium u use up....

Cool thanks Justin. Yea I just cant keep up with the dosing. Need to blow another $200.00 for a CA reactor. 6-8 months works for me rather than daily, if not every other day.

dosing sucks man thats how i lost my sps corals in my old 100 it was too hard to keep up with the demand and all the testing and BS like that....

the reactor on my 180 has made it sooo much easier now i test once a week and adjust if needed there....

cost alot up front but well worth the peace of mind in the long run

Yea so far I have only red and green caps, and they are getting pretty big. So imagine when I start adding more SPS this crap will be nearly impossible to handle.

Though the 2 part like some of you suggested works alot better.

Anyone selling a compact/standard CA reactor?:D

Buy the Octopus 140. Clint at Black Coral Hawaii sells them. You wont find a better reactor for the price. I think mine with the pump and everything was $250. And it has a 24" tall 6" reaction chamber. You can fit almost an entire bucket of knop coralith in it. The pump is decent (it is haleia or something like that, same company that makes oceanrunner), has a built in bubble counter, real JG fittings, tubing, CO2 check valve, and Clint will help you out with any warranty issues you may or may not have. I have had mine for about 6 months now with no issues. Easy as pie really.

i got mine for FREE from the local fire extinguisher company...it was steel and very large. maybe a 20-25 pounder. the worker also threw in a brand new co2 valve and filled it, all for free!!!:dance: :clown: :bounce2:

Back