best refugium light

I suppose it depends what you are using your fuge for. Growing macro? I got a work light with an aluminum reflector from my local hardware store, put a 5500K CFL bulb in it, and set it up on my Reef Keeper timer. I don't think it cost more than $20 and it grows plenty of algae.

I picked up a plastic clamp on work light from Home Depot with a 5500k cfl bulb........cost me like $10. My chaeto is growing like crazy.

@alb_56 how many unit do we need? 10w of power confused me!
I'm currently using the homedepot bulb, so far so good, but too much heat.

The first picture is with IR, the second one is just a normal picture. I switched to LED because my other light was getting way to hot, these put out just a little bit of heat. I can touch the lens of the light after its been on all night.

snapshot_C4D655309895_20130104005526_zps19dff9ba.jpg

snapshot_C4D655309895_20130104005641_zpsb4c41e2f.jpg

Yes, that's the bulb. I went with the plastic clamp on work light so there is no chance of rust.

I just switched to this one on the recommendation of another reefer in a different post about lighting a fuge. My caulerpa is definitely growing every day noticeably.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121334978054?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That looks like a great deal, 10w of LED is plenty for a fuge......might be a future upgrade.

If you are just trying to grow algae, the red/blue LED lamps work really well. If you think you'd use the fuge for inverts or fish then I'd go with a 5000 - 6500K LED. None of the algae's you'd want to grow are all that particular about lighting. Growth problems almost always come down to nutrient issues.

If you are just trying to grow algae, the red/blue LED lamps work really well. If you think you'd use the fuge for inverts or fish then I'd go with a 5000 - 6500K LED. None of the algae's you'd want to grow are all that particular about lighting. Growth problems almost always come down to nutrient issues.

+1
I have a blue-white LED mix on a 4-inch strip for my refugium. At first I thought that it wasn't going to work, but then I swapped out one of my rocks from my display and my algae growth exploded and took off in my refuguim. Nothing negative is happening so far, just lots of green.

Back