Best Shipping Procedures

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11390832#post11390832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy

Duh, thanx flyyyguy, I'll do that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11390832#post11390832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy

I cant believe that soembody else doesnt step up top the plate and give paypla some cometition. they seriously suck but they are a necessary evil online at this ppoint buying and selling stuff online :(

I agree 120%. Paypal is both the best and worst thing that has ever happened for online buying/selling. They have very shady practices but when there is no competition they can get away with whatever they choose.

how do you guys get your shipping rates so low??i just did a fedex quote and it came out to like 65.00...where im seeing on here most people being able to ship for like 35-40$ overnight...

How did you do your quote? From what zip to what zip? How many frags? What size box? How much weight? Let me know that and I can calculate my shipping charges.

i think some people are able to get discount rates thru work or friends.

but i would like to know if there is something i am doing wrong too!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11566038#post11566038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdmcivicek9
how do you guys get your shipping rates so low??i just did a fedex quote and it came out to like 65.00...where im seeing on here most people being able to ship for like 35-40$ overnight...

What makes it even worse is that the actual rate is ALWAYS more expensive than the quote the website gives you. I don't know how certain people get such cheap rates. I know a lot of people use USPS because they are cheaper but I don't trust them. There have been many times where I have not sold frag packs because people complained that the shipping was too high. I gave up on shipping quotes because it always ended up being more so I always lost money. I now go with a flat rate. Sometimes it is a little cheaper but most times I ended up having to cover part of the shipping.

I too would love to know how people are getting those prices thorugh FedEx. I can see how businesses probably get discounts due to the large volume of stuff they ship but I doubt any hobbiests are getting prices like that.

Some people don't realize that one big factor with FedEx is the size of the box. They use a formula of (Length x Width x Height) / 194 rounded up to the next pound *OR* actual weight rounded up to the next pound, whichever is more. So, if I ship a box 12 x 9 x10 I'm going to pay for 6 pounds even if it only weighs 4 pounds. Always use the smallest box you can get by with. Although right now while it's cold, the larger box with more water has more "mass" to keep the temp from fluctuating so much. If you're going to pay for 6 pounds anyway, you might as well put more water in the bags, the frags will arrive in better shape. Any way you want to look at it, it is not cheap. I guess it boils down to whether your objective it to make a lot of money or share frags with fellow hobbyists. I guarantee that FedEx makes more money on a shipment of frags than I do. But, as far as I'm concerned, they're the only one I will use for shipping.

On a completely different subject: What are the restrictions (if any) on shipping frags to Puerto Rico? A guy contacted me yesterday wanting frags shipped to him in Puerto Rico. I ran it through FedEx and it looks like they could handle it without a problem.

I would have to say many people either know someone at fed-ex or do it for work. i know when i used to work at a plumbing supply warehouse, we would ship personal packages for dirt cheap because we would just say every packaged weighted 1lbs. made a 30$ shipping at the store costs 4-5$ across the country. i would say if your going to ship something out check out if your company has a fed-ex/ups account and just accidently (lie) put in the wrong demensions and box weight..... or try to find someone who can do it for you.

Hasnt anyone ordered corals online!? how do the "professionals" do it? when i ordered fish online they just put it in a styro box that fit perfectly inside of a thick cardboard box, and doublebaged the fish with metal clamps to hold the bags shut, then put a heatpack in the box, and put newspaper and put those big packing bubbles in so the fish wouldnt move around in the box.

if someone doesn't want to post how they are getting great rates, pm me and i will post them as; unknown user says .....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11769597#post11769597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shock130
just accidently (lie) put in the wrong demensions and box weight..... or try to find someone who can do it for you.

You know, I "accidentally" put the wrong dimensions and weight several times but FedEx corrected it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11769963#post11769963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H@rry
You know, I "accidentally" put the wrong dimensions and weight several times but FedEx corrected it!

Harry is right. It doesn't matter if you say the package weighs 1 oz. or 100 lbs. Also doesn't matter what dimensions you enter. When the box passes through the main FedEx hub in Tennesse it goes down a conveyer belt and for a split second it is weighed and the dimensions are scanned. That is when your actual shipping cost is calculated and your account is charged.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11769963#post11769963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H@rry

REALLLY!? them bastards!!!!! well maybe UPS is stupid, because thats who we used to pull it on.... maybe they charged us more at the end of the month.... but i took over one month on "verifying" every shipment that was shipped on the work account was "work related"... and therer were MANY packages costing $4-5 The customers loved us doing that for them also. haha

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11771372#post11771372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis
Harry is right. It doesn't matter if you say the package weighs 1 oz. or 100 lbs. Also doesn't matter what dimensions you enter. When the box passes through the main FedEx hub in Tennesse it goes down a conveyer belt and for a split second it is weighed and the dimensions are scanned. That is when your actual shipping cost is calculated and your account is charged.

Well then.... in that case, just pay work for the shipment when it is shipped. and hope the company picks up the rest of the money that they charge for the "incorrect" package, we shipped out atleast 5 packages a day via UPS. and I usually did the UPS shipments, and i NEVER put in the correct demensions, nor the weight i would just guess. and i never heard from ups or my boss for that matter. only time UPS called is when i got lazy for not including customs papers for international shipment.

I email LiveAquaria on their shipping meathods. See what they have to say. i will let everyone know when i get a reply.

Last edited:
What about shipping in those Ziploc containers with the screw on lids? I mean, you would still ship in styro and all that, but wouldn't that provide better protection for the corals?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11814337#post11814337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdcq12
What about shipping in those Ziploc containers with the screw on lids? I mean, you would still ship in styro and all that, but wouldn't that provide better protection for the corals?

I dont think so. it is a hard surface vs the softer surface of a bag resting on another bag or styrofoam or peanuts.

As well, of the handful of shipments Ive received that came in little individual plastic containers the majority leaked.

I dont like them. I do however like having extra little plastic containers around the tanks to put gross stuff in and then discard instead of sneaking the wifes dishes though......

ok, im going to change the subject a little... what kind of oxygen do you guys use... i was thinking in investing in a small tank so me and my friends could all use it but its impossible to get medical grade oxygen. so im stuck with either a divers tank or a welding tank.

oxygen isnt necessary. Put all the bags in a thick black bag inside the cooler and everything will go to sleep and not try to respirate much in the first place.

I hardly use any air in the bags as it is and have very few issues and it isnt oxygen related on the infrequent occasion that a frag does ship poorly.

If you ship the corals, in insulated boxes with shredded paper, in a leakproof container (those plastic medical urine sample containers), with heatpacks, and they do not make the next day (less than 24 hour actually) shipping, would you refund the whole cost of the corals/shipping, half the cost, none?

i'm sorta curious as to what to do :(

NO. Not if it was the post offices fault i wont give a refund. If they do make it on time and the package is signed for and the corals are dead i refund the coarl price but not the shipping price.

Back