Best Shipping Procedures

There are some Acros and some Hydnaphoras that are at least 12 - 13 inches across. Another M. palawanensis is 13 inches in diameter. Weight is not an issue. Packing for shipping is the issue.

How do you pack the corals when you ship?

How do you pack the corals when you ship?

Just wondering, how do you guys all pack up the corals to ship? Do you just put it in a plastic bag like the LFS...then put it in a box or what?

I just plan on using styrofoam boxes, lined in newspaper, possibly heat packs also...when my mom drove 9 hours to get home from Florida with my frag pack the guy didn't use heat packs and the water was still warm

What temp do you need to add heat packs or cold packs? do you go off of high temps?

Shipping is a little more expensive, but I go to the dollar tree and buy the small disposable styro ice chests and then place those inside a box for shipment. After bagging frags and adding ice pack/heat pack, I hot glue the lid shut and tape it, then I package the box real nice. I usually lose a few bucks every time on shipping, but nearly everything makes it alive (not counting those people who want to do Priority mail from Ca to FL though!)

THoughts on shipping a torch...never have and I am going to this week.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12693243#post12693243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
What temp do you need to add heat packs or cold packs? do you go off of high temps?

I'd like to know the general rule of thumb on this also...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12896480#post12896480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tygger
I'd like to know the general rule of thumb on this also...

all temps high and low both where it is coming from and where it is going to play a part as there are countless little tweaks and tricks you can do to each box from how you wrap the ice or cold pack, whether it is a 12 hour or a 24 hour heat pack, how big of a icepack.....inside or outside the box...etc.

the most important things IMO are using a thick walled 1" + real cooler if the temps are outside of 65-90 so you actually have real control of whats going on isnside the box and a am delivery. neither of these things are mandatory in many circumstances, but it is the only way I will do it and while I cant say I NEVER lose anything....dang close to never.

I recently shipped an expensive order in a ziplock container. I placed the frags in baggies just to keep them separated. I placed the bag in the lil container and filled it with water. Remember these containers say leak proof but they are not. Before screwing on the lid, I wrapped the top of the container with some teflon tape. Now its leakproof. Then I placed the container in a bag and tied it for insurance. I then wrapped the container in some bubble wrap and tossed it in a lil box filled with crumbled newspaper with a heat pack on the top. 8 frags and less then 2 lbs. It made it home without a leak.

Thats interesting. What is everyones opinion of USPS overnight shipping? It is like half the cost of ups and fedex. I have used it once and it seems to be the same deal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13068338#post13068338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcypert
Thats interesting. What is everyones opinion of USPS overnight shipping? It is like half the cost of ups and fedex. I have used it once and it seems to be the same deal.

I will never use anything but fed ex

I will compromise if someone has a ups account they want to ship under. But if they insist on usps to save a few bucks, no deal.

you will see many sellers say that they will only guraantee it if it is shipped fed ex priority, and they will ship cheaper options but not guarantee it. If I cant guarantee it...I wont sell it.

thats how I feel about USPS ;)

Same here. If someone insists on USPS, then I will do that for them but I can offer no guarantees on anything arriving alive. USPS is cheap for a reason... you get what you pay for.

I agree with the others using FedEx. They are the most expensive but they get the job done, it's worth it with perishable merchandise like coral frags. I've shipped over 80 boxes of coral and they missed only two. One was a snowstorm in Kentucky and the other was a "maintenance delay". That's pretty good odds. I don't have any idea UPS could do that well. Don't even talk about USPS!

I use blue foam 1" and double it up insulation is the key blue foam for foundations is great. It comes in sheets and is pretty cheap

i want to ship zoas and was wondering what's the best way to do this knowing zoas are pretty hardy. the temps 60- 80. i was thinking a twist n lock glad liquid container in two ziplocks and alot of paper for small manybe 6"x6"x6" box?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13406124#post13406124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aznnutty
i want to ship zoas and was wondering what's the best way to do this knowing zoas are pretty hardy. the temps 60- 80. i was thinking a twist n lock glad liquid container in two ziplocks and alot of paper for small manybe 6"x6"x6" box?

ziplocks suck and are prone to leaking. dont use them

use fish bags and tie or rubberband them shut. I prefer to use tall bags and tie them shut as its just simpler, but rubberbands can work fine too

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13406127#post13406127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aznnutty
will they be ok priority?

not in my opinion. sure it can work, if you are comfrotable with things not always surviving or arriving in poor shape sometimes. Nobody who ships priority mail often can claim near zero mortality rates. i could say it much more brutally than that...but I wont.

these are animals and need shipped and recieved in 24 hours or less IMO.

Back