Best value Ro/DI unit

kzaveri19

My wife allowed me to keep my time for some more time :D and I have decided to invest more. Looking to buy a nice RO/DI unit on a budget.

Any recommendations?

I dont think you can go wrong with the filter guys. I have zero vested stake in the company, but I bought mine from them and their product more than speaks for itself. The company is also reliable and quick to ship. They are good at communicating with their customers. In fact - one of them reaches out to me each time I order. I had a few questions about starting up and they answered them right away. And problems with orders - I had 'em. These guys took the product back and shipped out a return with no questions asked.

http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

The best value RODI system depends on your water source.

Who do you buy water from? I want to look at their water quality report. It makes a big difference.

Any of the RC sponsors are good. I use mostly spectrapure but would also look at buckeye hydro. They are the most active on the forums.

Watersource is Jersey Tap water. Aquarium water is Bj's purified water. Haven't tested TDS yet as the meter is on its way.

The best value RODI system depends on your water source.

Who do you buy water from? I want to look at their water quality report. It makes a big difference.

Any of the RC sponsors are good. I use mostly spectrapure but would also look at buckeye hydro. They are the most active on the forums.

Can I use the Spectrapure with a Kitchen Faucet? Any Adaptors I could use

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/chrome-faucet-diverter-valve.html

You could use something like this. You may be able to get it at Lowes/Home Depot or a hardware store. I have mine in the laundry room. Bought an adapter for the cold water going to the washing machine that splits it in 2. Hooked the RO unit to it and the waste water line uses the drain for the washing machine.

I saw two similar Spectrapure's on Amazon, I would like to buy from Amazon since I get 3% cash back on their card.

1) Economy RODI 90 GPD
https://www.amazon.com/SpectraPure-...F8&qid=1477846518&sr=8-4&keywords=spectrapure

2) SpectraPure® Maxpure 90 GPD RO/DI System
https://www.amazon.com/SpectraPure®...F8&qid=1477846518&sr=8-5&keywords=spectrapure

Both look similar to each other AND the refurbished version on Spectrapure's site, which come out to $153 with shipping.

Can anyone please explain the differences?

If your in an urban area in Jersey, I would use tkeracer's advice...it depends on how your source water is treated.

I bought a 4 stage BRS 150g, and recently upgraded it to a 6 stage...why? My city uses Chloramines, and those are generally a no-no when it comes to reef tanks, so I added an extra carbon stage.

Also, when my DI was down to about 25% I noticed a nice diatom bloom while still getting 0ppm water out. Seems DI starts letting silica through when it's about 60% done...so I added another DI and will do the switch when the first container gets low.

Also trying one of spectrapure's silica buster refills out.

Seems my DI goes about 700-800 gallons on our tap. Might be do to chloramine seepage from the carbon block. When I run out of my supply of 1micron carbon blocks I will start using Pentek blocks.

BRS has 5 and 10 buck off RO unit coupons out there on the web if you look around via google.

You should be able to google and find a local water report and testing. That is what I did. I was considering a Spectrapure but the 25.00 shipping killed it for me personally. Amazon charges me tax, so I looked elsewhere. I ended up buying a Marine Depot KleanWater Advanced system which included a Inline TDS meter, Pressure Gauge and Manual Flush for just a tad more. I feel the those are must have's for any RO/DI. Plus you get 15% off for life on all the replacement membranes.

A good membrane will save you on DI resin in the long run.

You can put tap water into a DI and get zero TDS - for a while anyway.

The point being cheaper ROs use cheaper, less efficient membranes. You will still get zero TDS because your DI resin is doing the work of removing ions.

A good (at least 98% removal) membrane will remove more on the front end and will save you money on DI resin.

Now, you will use more water. So if your water is expensive - that's another consideration.

A good membrane will save you on DI resin in the long run.

You can put tap water into a DI and get zero TDS - for a while anyway.

The point being cheaper ROs use cheaper, less efficient membranes. You will still get zero TDS because your DI resin is doing the work of removing ions.

A good (at least 98% removal) membrane will remove more on the front end and will save you money on DI resin.

Now, you will use more water. So if your water is expensive - that's another consideration.

Water is free for me.

You get free tap water? That's interesting.

If that's the case I would go for the highest efficiency membrane you can find. It will save you DI resin in the long run.

I rent in a rental community. I am sure its built into the rent. I don't pay anything additional out of pocket.

Best RO system that I am planning on ordering is made by ICE CAP Smart RO 150 GAL/day system, It has awesome features and it will make your life much easier and there is no guess work on when or what needs to be changed on your RO unit and it is built with solid frame, you might want to look into this and they have video as well on you tube that shows all the functionalities this RO system has to offer.

My wife allowed me to keep my time for some more time :D and I have decided to invest more. Looking to buy a nice RO/DI unit on a budget.

Any recommendations?

Ive had really good results with just a home system found on craigslist, paid 30.00 and it was new and unused. I trashed the pressure tank, and bought a DI kit offline, and I was in business. I forget what I paid for the DI kit, but it wasn't a lot. Ive been using this setup now for about a year with no issues at all. I might have 60.00 buck in it total, and has 0 DS.

Back