Best Value Skimmer???

TODDVICKI

Hey Everyone,

I do not mind if this post turns into a little bit of a debate. I am in need of a skimmer. I am looking for a good value. I prefer not to have the needle propeller. Based on the research I have done, this part can break. If anyone feels otherwise, please also feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Thank you everyone. Oh I need something good for total water volume of 300 gallons. Which is definitely a little more than I need. Thank you all for your input :)

Needlewheels and pinwheels are about the best models out there. Some impellers do need replacing, but think of it as a consumable part like a light bulb that needs changing every so often.

And the only one I have ever lost is on a Vertex at that.

I am sure people will chime in with their favorite skimmers, but your question is a bit broad. What is your budget? What is recommended depends largely on how much you plan to spend. They are good choices at all prices

Re: Best Value Skimmer???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15421043#post15421043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TODDVICKI
Hey Everyone,

I do not mind if this post turns into a little bit of a debate. I am in need of a skimmer. I am looking for a good value. I prefer not to have the needle propeller. Based on the research I have done, this part can break. If anyone feels otherwise, please also feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Thank you everyone. Oh I need something good for total water volume of 300 gallons. Which is definitely a little more than I need. Thank you all for your input :)

no offense, but i would say your research is incomplete.
pw/nw inpellers are no more prone to breaking than a normal impeller...
there is no reason to stay away from them whatsoever, and as others have mentioned, you arent going to find more power for less watt consumption or price with any other type of skimmer. why do you think there are so many to choose from?? and so many being knocked off in china???
are you sure you werent thinking about a mesh-wheel impeller?

and for 300g, yes, your not going to get more power for less money than the SWC/MSX extreme 250.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15427392#post15427392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skimmy
and for 300g, yes, your not going to get more power for less money than the SWC/MSX extreme 250.

+1

Also known as the Octopus Extreme 250 skimmer. It's not exactly the same skimmer in that each of the three companies tweaks the pump a little in their own ways, but the skimmer body itself should be identical.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15427701#post15427701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hal
+1

Also known as the Octopus Extreme 250 skimmer. It's not exactly the same skimmer in that each of the three companies tweaks the pump a little in their own ways, but the skimmer body itself should be identical.

you dont want the octopus version, really crappy modding of the sicce pumps...plus they are total theives and stole the design from SWC anyway. get the innovater of the design, not the crappy knockoff.

Get a nice used skimmer off craigslist. I found a EuroReef RC-1000 for a third of retail, almost new. Certainly new enough.

You can mod whatever you find and save some bucks. Seriously, a lot of people are leaving the hobby and you can get real bargains if you look around.

PS a skimmer thread that turns into a debate? On RC?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426504#post15426504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
yea I am really liking the vertex IN series for the $$.
Don't you have an ATB 8401.5? What's up with that?
:rolleyes:

Nice comparison, but if you read the conclusion (last comments), you need to factor in break in time, water level and whether they were dialed in for wet or dry skim. All these according to my very limited experience will effect skim nog. I won't deny being impressed with the output of the cheaper (without offending) skimmer model.

whatever you do, don't get a coralife skimmer.

I've had Euro_reef's, Octopus and Vertex. Euro-reefs pulled out the most skimmate, but were the loudest, I didn't like the Octopus' design, and my Vertex is ok, but I think it should be pulling out more. The Vertex is very quiet though.

Each has their pros and cons, but getting one off craigslist is a cheap way to test some of them out to see what you like.

Back