Best way to dip zoas and remove algae from them

nathan1986

Transferring all my zoas over to my newely set up tank here in a few days. They are comeing from a high nutrient system and there is some algae on the plugs. I can remove the zoas from the plug and transfer to a new sterile one but there will still be sone algae at the base of the zoa frags. Im curious as to how i can safely remove the algae from them. Ive read peroxide dipping does wonders on algae but i dont know if this is the best way and safest way for the zoas. Thanks in advance, nathan

Thanks! Ill look up that thread. And i am ordering the brs dual reactor for the tank so the nutrients should be under control but with all meat eater fish and 2 eels they make one hell of a mess. And i cant keep hermits, the eels and puffer like them as snacks lol

1 part standard 3% peroxide : 9 parts tank water works wonders on most algaes. Ulva doesn't respond to it. Just close up the polyps by irritating them first.

Thanks! Ill look up that thread. And i am ordering the brs dual reactor for the tank so the nutrients should be under control but with all meat eater fish and 2 eels they make one hell of a mess. And i cant keep hermits, the eels and puffer like them as snacks lol

Do you run a filter sock constantly? I've noticed that filter socks will foul my water pretty quickly if not changed daily. Now I run one once per week for a few hours to polish my water. Just my experience...

Do you run a filter sock constantly? I've noticed that filter socks will foul my water pretty quickly if not changed daily. Now I run one once per week for a few hours to polish my water. Just my experience...
Yes i do. In the tank that has high nutrients i change the filter sock every 2 days. In the new 120g the sump has 2 filter socks, every morning i remove the front sock and move the rear sock to the front and put a clean sock in the rear. (The rear filter sock hardly gets dirty, thats why i rotate them that way)

Gotcha, you could try going sockless for a week or two and see how it impacts your nutrient levels (assuming that you have a strong skimmer). Again, just my experience, for some reason my system doesn't like socks.

Manually remove as much as possible then the peroxide dip. I have done this for a long time. Works well. Takes 3 days or so for the algae to die off

Manually remove as much as possible then the peroxide dip. I have done this for a long time. Works well. Takes 3 days or so for the algae to die off
Thanks. Ive been reading up on it a bit. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing it. Some people only go by a ratio mixture. Others pour the peroxide in the water until bubbles start to appear at the base of the zoas. Seems pretty effective tho. Ill give it a shot today

+1 on peroxide but will be short time fix till you get your nutrients under control. I solved my nutrient issues with vodka for the tank, a Scotch for me :), and an ATS

Back