Bio Pellet Again

horseplay

Since I mostly keep SPS I like to get some opinion from people keeping SPS tanks with BioPellets as the primary means of nutrient export.

This is my second time running a BP reactor. I started running it about 2 months ago, when PO4 was 0.1. and I think sometime during last week PO4 was down to undetectable level. It shows zero on Hanna checker. Obviously it's impossible to have BP export matching exactly the PO4 output of the tank so either BP is taking out too much or not at all. Also note that I do see algae on the glass so there is nutrient in the water. I also feed quite liberally so there is always nutrient going thru the system. I see some very minor paling of the color of some of the SPS corals. I run the tank at 7.3 ALK.

So here are the options:

1. Remove some pellets but this will suffer from the problem mentioned above, either too little or too much pellets. Consider how slowly the PO4 decreased to zero the amount of BP is probably very close to the balance point.
2. Running the reactor part time. If this works it can give me a finer control on how much nutrients to remove. For example, I can run 50 minutes every hour this will keep the water in the reactor fairly fresh while reducing the amount of nutrients the reactor removes.
3. Do nothing and wait a few more weeks to see longer term effect.

Nitrate is not a concern to my. I do measure nitrate weekly and if it becomes zero I dose 1ppm. Right now it's at 1ppm.

Like to hear some thoughts on this and how people run their reactors.

How about reducing the amount of bio pellets and reducing the flow through the reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd advise against any part time use of pellets. Taking them offline and reinstalling is not practical and the biologic risks could be significant. You could vary the effluent rate but then again that will promote issues

I'd opt to do nothing. It sounds like you have a balance and are able to alter no3 as needed. Your feeding heavily and that's the whole idea. I find amino to be a good way to tie in feeding as well.

What brand pellets?

I'd advise against any part time use of pellets. Taking them offline and reinstalling is not practical and the biologic risks could be significant. You could vary the effluent rate but then again that will promote issues

I'd opt to do nothing. It sounds like you have a balance and are able to alter no3 as needed. Your feeding heavily and that's the whole idea. I find amino to be a good way to tie in feeding as well.

What brand pellets?

I'm not a full time user of biopellets but have used them in the past..
I agree with Greg.
Your corals have good colour and growth, you have practically no algea in the tank.
If I were you, I'd do nothing. The balance looks pretty good. If you seem low in nutrients, add a couple small fish and feed a bit more..
By the way, what's the coral, on the right hand side of the tank down low near the glass. Orange with the green tips?

Thanks guys. The pellets are ecobak pellets. I removed about 20% of the pellets yesterday and let's see. I am concerned about phosphate deficiency. Can always add nitrate as needed. The green tipped acro is a Jason fox flame. I would say it paled the most. It's a little difficult to dial in the color to start with but I had some rich red base at one point so most likely it's affected by the nutrient level. No other factor is changed.

Thanks for the info on the jf flame.
The problem with adding nitrate when using biopellets is that it tends to drive down the po4. Removing some pellets may be a better way to go..

I've used ecoback for 6-7 years nothing but good stuff tom say about them.
Yes they are very very efficient , I think you did the right thing by removing some .
It's better than adding a bunch of other thing to counter act effects of the pellets.
I think Adding fish or feeding heavier will help you find your export/inport balance .

Also how often do you change your water?

Back