Biopellets and skimming

Vorog

I did a DIY reactor with the TLF 150. I started with a 1/4 of the recommended amount of biopellets so I do not go too fast. My outlet on the reactor is plumbed right into my intake of the skimmer. Ever since I started two days ago my skimmer (Reef Octopus Diablo xs160) is not producing any foam. I am wandering if my DIY inlet is the cause or is it because of the biopellets? I can not seem to find a good answer online. Is my skimmer being restricted? Or is it the biopellets causing there to be no foam head? Attaching a photo of how I did this.

e33c043cb4743e8c06a26272a47ec9a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disconnect the reactor tube on the skimmer intake.
If the skimmer starts working your issue is that pumping water into the skimmer like that is causing it to not work properly..

I just tried that and the foam head started to come back. My question is will my skimmer go back to normal with the reactor?

Then the way you have that plumbed and the output water pressure is causing issues with your venturi/skimmer making it not work proper..
You will need to change it so thats not an issue..
Just have the outlet dump infront of the inlet tube and not directly into it.

I have the reactor return line near the intake of my skimmer. The skimmer is working normal again, just curious because I see a lot of people make the intake like the one I made go right into the skimmer without issues. Once the biopellets start building up bacteria do you think I can attach the hose to the intake I made again? Or should I leave it how I have it now and take the intake piece off the skimmer?

Agree with mcgyvr, just leave the reactor outlet near the skimmer intake. There's no need for it to be plumbed directly to the pump. (Mine is setup the same way and it works perfectly.)

Agree with mcgyvr, just leave the reactor outlet near the skimmer intake. There's no need for it to be plumbed directly to the pump. (Mine is setup the same way and it works perfectly.)

Okay, thank you for the information. Just from what I was reading a lot of people plumb it into the skimmer like I did. But if near the skimmer intake is fine then that will work for me and be easier to clean out the hose etc. Thank you both for the help!

Back