Black Clownfish- Possible Brooklynella

snake42490

Hey guys, I got my Clowns going on a little over a month ago. I did the tank transfer method then had to treat for internal worms as well. Long story short they have a strong appetite and have been eating well for I would say three weeks now.

Now the issue that I am concerned about is that I am seeing slimcoat on the fish and have been this whole time. They aren't a "pure black", now of course I started thinking Brooklynella, but then I realized these clowns have been in a 2.5 gallon hex tank for a month and nothing has progressed. I have always known brook to kill VERY quick. Do you think this could be brook or that I might just be dealing with some aggression between the clowns?

Tough to say, that's a small volume of water and space for 2 clowns. Do you have any formalin?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Yes, I do have formalin on hand. 35% solution. I guess my thought process is telling me if they had brook they would be dead by now? I get it they could have some immunity, but they in a 5 gallon hex! Not 2.5.. I just feel like that small of a tank they would have been killed by brook by this point if they actually had it..

Brook would have killed them by now and if fish are eating, they don't have brook. This may be a record. Keeping 2 clowns in a 2 1/2 tank for a month may never have been done before; so who knows? I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that this sort of husbandry can cause permanent deformities and/or illnesses. . Why not spend 5 bucks and get a 20 gal Brute tote?

Some people give away 20 gal tanks for free. Check the paper. But please, give those fish some more room :(

It's a 5 gallon tank.. It's just for QT. They have a matured filter media from my 220 gallon tank which they will be going into in a couple of days. I know it's not a perfect set up, but it will soon be over!

Back