Black things on CBB tail

Hedonist

Premium Member
Uh OHHHH

What is up with my CBB, It has develpoed some blackish spots on the tail and seems to be a smma spot inward a bit... kinda looks like that cauliflower type thing but balck... any ideas right off, I am researching too

LMK
Denise

Dunno, just got him bout a week ago, bout 3.5 in.... I also see some white spots now..... Crap

SOOOOOOOO glad it is in a 'QT' tank...

Denise

black spots that are very small and ich like, could be black spot disease. It is another parasite very similar to ich but more difficult to treat and clear up. If something looks like cauliflower, that is typically and indication of a fungal infection. Often times when a fish gets sick the parasite will be the first noticable problem and then a secondary infection can occur due to the weakened immune system. Usually it would be a bacterial infection, with pale areas over the body, but im sure it can be fungal as well. start with increased temp and hyposalinity for the cbbf. if it is a fungus on there as well, those can be scraped off fairly successfully.

I wouldn't suggest scraping anything off but I would suggest making sure it is fat and eating on the order of at least 3 feedings a day. I would then recommend asking this in another forum here on RC like the fish diseases and treatment forum(?) or something similar. They may have better answers than what you may find here or on any other forum on RC. Keep us posted as well. Want to follow this. Also ask about or look into some type of medications that can be used in your QT for these kinds of parasites/bacteria/fungus.

I have posted in the disease forum... so far one thinks it might be worms (the black things-suggested a FW dip) tho it does have more of a look of cauliflower, however small it is... It also has a few white spots now too.... I hesitate to scrape tho maybe if I net it they will fall off.... just do not want to stress her too much more... she is still eating and swimming fine..... am working on the hypo salinity, dropping the salinity slowly, cannot remember if it is okay to drop fast but raise slo or vise vesra, my guess if the fish can take a FW dip then it is the was it is, but I just want to be safe... need to read up and refresh my memory

My food has garlic in it but she rarely touches my homemade stuff, like the BS,BW and mysids... might try to add a tad of garlic juice to the fod, have added selcon this am... Also it was suggested to use beta glucan, B-1 3 glucan... anyone ever try it ?

dg

Denise, I am NOT for fw dips, stress them toooo much. I'd treat for ich first, OK to lower salinity 2 points couple times per day till you reach 17 or so. As long as she is eating fine, don't try to fix what ain't broken. When you are able to ID the other problem whether bacterial or fungal you can get medicated food, this works well because it medicates the fish from the inside out and not just the water. Keep us posted on her condition. Sue
ps when you lower the salinity remember to raise the temp to hasten the life cycle of the parasite.

I am treating the ich part with hypo salinity and higher temp... gave her a FW dip last night, she took it like a trooper, altho the balck blob on her tail is still there.... that is the thing that is getting me the black blob, how do I tell if it is bacterial or fungal?

dg

Not great ones, my batteries are low but I will try to work the cmaera later, I posted shot on RC fish disease but they weren ot hte best... on spot seemed to go away,,, theher seems to be a spot of missing fin whre it was... I plant to do another FW dip later tonight .. she seems to be holding steary..no increase really in white or black spots/blobs...... how high should the temp go, it is about 82 now, sal is at about 1.025,plan to have it at about 1.011 by tomorrow night, probably with another FW dip...

What a mohter won't do for her child....

dg

i wouldnt go any higher on the temp....nor would i go that low on the salinity. I usually suggest a temp of 80 and salinity of 1.018....... where you are already at 82, i would keep it there, but you need to get the salinity down soon..... the idea of this treatment is for parasites,,,, it increases the metaolism and they reproduce faster, then the lower salinity kills the offspring off and eventually you will have no more. if you only have increase temp, you may speed up the parasites and only cause more damage. it was hard to tell in your pics, but from what i could see the black was on the end of the tail..... it didnt look too major to me and will probably drop off on its own.

T1adler, see that link at the bottom that says "Subscribe To This Thread"? Click on that the next time you want to follow a thread so everyone that is already following doesn't get a notification to come here to just see that you're following.

HMMM< I had read to drop the salinty over a few days so not ostress or disrupt the biological filter ( I am using a seeded pengquin with a bio wheel and a small hot filter w/ a bit o LR in it.)

Anyway it is a the desired temp and salinity, I did another FW dip today, one of the black blobs has gone, and she is not getting any more white spots either (yet) Still eating and acting okay...

Still wanna look into beta gluton fora food additive, no one has heard of it?

Denise

Lost the CBB today :sad1:

Try really hard to help them out and it does not work..... takes the fun out of it..

Not sure what did her in...... I had issues with ammonia, did water changes (missed one day?) .. To help w/bacteria, I had a filter with a bio wheel and a sm filter w/LR in it, and also had some pcs of PVC that had been in a system...Tried using some ammo lock2 today... wonder if that had something to do with it..... or perhaps I did too much of a change , over last few days I did bout 75 % to get it down...

BUMMER

dg

Denise,

Sorry about the CBB. Frustrating not to be able to pinpoint the critical issue.

I have a nasty old 3 stripe damsel in my QT to Help keep it cycled. I had to exile him from my main tank due to numerous parole violations.

Tim

Denise, Sometimes we lose fish no matter WHAT we do to save them. Sometimes we keep fish no matter WHAT we do to them! Go figure. Probably NOT anything you did that killed her. Hyposalinity and raising the temp pretty innocous(doesn't bother anyone much). I heard CBB were a little iffy anyway. Talk to you soon. Let me know when the stuff I ordered gets in. Sue

Tim ... what do you do with the bugger...
(the damsel) during QT periods... leave him with the new fish to be Qt'd???

Thanks Sue for the words of encourgment.... I hate to lose a challenge tho...

dg

Denise,

He stays in the tank but gets moved into a smaller perferated isolation cage that hangs off the side of the tank. It he doesn't seem to bother him, not that it would be possible to make his attitude any worse. I put a few empty snail shells in with him and he either pushes them around and into the sides of the tank or trys to carry them around in his mouth. I can sometimes hear the banging across the room.

There should be warning labels on these at the LFS. :D

Tim

Back