blastomussa vs acan

leveldrummer

im returning from a long break from reefing, im goign to be setting up an LPS tank some time in the winter. In my old tank, i had a few blasto colonies that never seemed to thrive. are these a generally a tough coral to maintain and get fast growth out of? are acans any easier or harder to keep?

Since everyone's tanks are different, I think you're going to find a lot of different answers. But...

In my tank, I've found Blastomussa to be much easier than Acans. My Blasto is always happy, and grows like a weed with no additional feedings. My Acans don't grow as fast, even with supplemental feeding, and seem to go through grumpy phases. They all do well in my tank, but the Blasto just seems indestructible to me.

Since everyone's tanks are different, I think you're going to find a lot of different answers. But...

In my tank, I've found Blastomussa to be much easier than Acans. My Blasto is always happy, and grows like a weed with no additional feedings. My Acans don't grow as fast, even with supplemental feeding, and seem to go through grumpy phases. They all do well in my tank, but the Blasto just seems indestructible to me.

i started to realize at the end of my reef last time that i was battleing some sort of invader that was destroying corals, so it may have been attacking those, just not sure. also i expanded into sps and it was very hrd to keep up with the needs of calcium and alk after that, so i know my parameters werent ideal.

what would you consider your tank? is it a very clean high flow setup, or is it a little dirtier low flow type?

My tank is primarily LPS, with some less demanding SPS up high. Compact fluorescents, and low nutrient. Nitrate readings are consistantly 0.5-1.0ppm, never any measurable phosphates. Flow is low to moderate in most the tank, but has spots of high flow here and there. The blasto and acans are both in areas of low flow. pH goes between 7.8 and 8.1, alk is around 8-9 dKh, calcium is around 470-480, and temp hovers around 79.

I love them both but I think acans are way hardierthen blastos.I have lost whole colonies from a .2 decrease in salinity and it seems the best lookings ones are the ones that do this the most I found it happens with low salinities but I'm sureitcanhappen any other way allopathy is real devistating to them also even from there own kind.my acans growlike weeds and I cannot kill the. With a little salinity dropping

Back