Bloated Fox Face Rabbitfish, Please help! :(

Jennifer13

Our fox face suddenly became VERY bloated. He is swimming okay, but breathing fast and not eating. He looks miserable :( This started two days ago, and today is day 3. A single large spot just showed up, near his pectoral fin. He looks like he is going to burst and I can't find any info...

Update:

Update:

The cleaner shrimp have opened up the spot by Foxy's pectoral fin and appear to be digging in. Little bits of stuff is falling out of our poor Fox Face. I do not know if the shrimp are clearing some sort of blockage or feasting on the poor guy before he is even dead. It's all rather disturbing; wish I knew if it was time to put the poor thing out of its misery...

Foxy died but...

Foxy died but...

Thank you for sharing the info! Mycobacterium sounds very scary. We have a 3 1/2 year old tank, 150 gallons. The nitrates have been a little high lately but that is starting to get under control, and the rest of the chemistry is good. A few new fish were introduced a month or so ago but they all appear to be healthy. We had Foxy for 3 years and he wasn't fully grown when we got him. The only symptoms were rapid, severe bloating for 2 days and the one spot developing on the 3rd day. I will post a photo if I can figure out how. Thanks again for offering info!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20161025_131000[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20161025_131000[1].jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for sharing the info! Mycobacterium sounds very scary. We have a 3 1/2 year old tank, 150 gallons. The nitrates have been a little high lately but that is starting to get under control, and the rest of the chemistry is good. A few new fish were introduced a month or so ago but they all appear to be healthy. We had Foxy for 3 years and he wasn't fully grown when we got him. The only symptoms were rapid, severe bloating for 2 days and the one spot developing on the 3rd day. I will post a photo if I can figure out how. Thanks again for offering info!

O_O holy crap
that is some serious bloating. I do not have experience with gas bloats, but I have had a orange spotted filefish die from what I thought was a bloat, but turned out to be a giant puss ball. I highly doubt this is the case with yours, as it popped up extremely fast. That cant be very comfortable.

This looks like it could be caused by blocked intestines as it is only limited to the intestinal cavity. The not eating would fit constipation as well.
Bloating caused by bacterial infections that impair the kidneys turn in my experience the whole body into a puff and usually also cause raised scales at later stages.
I have no idea if this kind of constipation can be unblocked. You would probably need to see a vet.

Thank you

Thank you

I appreciate your helpfulness, both of you, and willingness to share what you know. We do not have a vet in the area that will look at fish, and our fox face died. I agree; to me looks like bloat from blocked intestine. Thanks again.

Back