Blue tang

ErosJN

Hey guys I purchased a tiny Atlantic blue tang a while back that was sick, he seemed to get a little better a few weeks into having him then it passed. I've been on the hunt for one ever since but can't find any place that has them. Anyone know of any stores that have them? (Preferably a medium-large)

Just called Creative and they said they didnt have any, any other suggestions? Their color morph is pretty neat but id prefer one that is already blue.

Have you tried calling all of the TBRC Sponsors? Their information is listed on the TBRC facebook page.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, I called marine warehouse but they were out of stock aswell, he did verify that they were 35-45 bucks depending on size. I'll call drysdale tomorrow. How was/is your experiences with the ABT bigZ?

Atlantic Blue Tangs suffer greatly from poor collection and handling. Most I run across at wholesalers are already infested with Brooklynella or Uronema plus severe collection stress brought about by inexperience/unattentive handling. If a specimen that isn't already weakened past the point of likely survival is found, be prepared to isolate and medicate for several weeks before addition to the main display aquarium. As Zach mentioned, the Species gets big at ~9" and doesn't typically appreciate any other members of the Acanthuridae Family. Choose wisely.

Thanks for your responses. I finally aquired one last night. Unfortunately i had to remove my powder brown into the sump cause he started hurassing him even though the atlantic is double his size. Im debating giving away or waiting sometime before reintroducing the brown. The atlantic got some minor scrapes but is eating algae and swimming around fine. My sailfin is territorial with him but nothing crazy, my guess is it will settle down in a day or 2. Ill try to get some photos shortly.

Heres a picture of the Atlantic I recently picked up. He's underweight and broke out with ich. I'm not too concerned as Ive had this issue with quite a few other tangs (some that are in the pic) and usually within a few weeks the fish is healthy enough to the point where there are no longer any signs of ich and they fatten up nicely. Wish I had a quarantine tank though! Wouldnt mind getting the ich completely out the system.

Attachments

• ABtang.jpg
    ABtang.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
So this morning I decided to attempt reintroducing the Powder Brown into the display after 4 days in the sump due to aggression issues with the ABT. If they didn't play nicely the brown would have to go... So far the brown has been a model citizen, a complete turn around from how he was prior to his "time out"! They show no agression to one another, graze together, and no flare ups yet. I know its still too early to say his "time out" was a success so I'll continue to keep a close eye and monitor their behavior with one another.

Attachments

• 20160327_203118_resized.jpg
    20160327_203118_resized.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
Its been a while so i wanted to update everyone on the Atlantic Blue Tang i aquired several months ago. After the ich outbreak I decided to remove all fish and quarantine for a month in a 125 gallon aquarium treated with copper. They have been back in the display for about 3 weeks now and everything is going well. The ABT has gained weight, eats everything, and has shown some awesome personality. He ocasionally fusses with the sailfin for a second then they go about there ways. This is definitely a great tang for you tang lovers but, unfortunately gets looked over. I cant wait for my guy to get the deeper blue adult color. Anyone else currently keeping an ABT?
4cf01fe3683253c91270449b2f8744a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I was snorkeling in the Bahamas last weekend and saw a ton of these guys. Really fat and happy looking with that deep blue color.

Back