blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

steve, imo the kole tang would be jus fine, and the CBB... i have always thought, getting back to my original post, that 6' is the minimum for a regal (blue) tang...

So when I trade my scopas out for the Flame Angel, I should be ok adding a Kole Yellow Eye Tang, or the CBB. I'm not really fond of regal's, but they are pretty and I don't have anything big and blue in my tank except for my school of chromis.

well if you feel the need to change out your scopas... personally i feel they are very beautiful fish in a very sublte way... however, the Zebrasoma species of tangs seem to be SOME (not the most by any means) of the more aggresive tangs... purple in particular once mature... but i dont feel you necessarily need to get rid of him unless you jus feel like it... which of course if fine... jmo

well if you feel the need to change out your scopas... personally i feel they are very beautiful fish in a very sublte way... however, the Zebrasoma species of tangs seem to be SOME (not the most by any means) of the more aggresive tangs... purple in particular once mature... but i dont feel you necessarily need to get rid of him unless you jus feel like it... which of course if fine... jmo

I have had him for 6 months now and he and the yellow squabble once a day. No damage done, but I just am looking for something a little more colorful. He does do a great job at picking up all the food that falls to the sand bed and he goes to town on the live rock, but most if not all tangs will do this to the live rock. Although I've never really seen a tang do what he does to the sand bed.

My simple excuse is I like Tangs but I don't have the budget to own & maintain a 100+ gallons tank. :)

My point exactly. And why is it cruel to swap out the fish in a couple of years? I am moving the fish to a bigger tank that is more suited for him and getting a tiny blue tang that I like more. I will never return any fish to a LFS. I did that once and will never do it again.

Why do people think is is OK to keep a 6" tang in a 4' x2'x1.5' and complain when I keep a 1" fish in a 24''x24"x20". Do the math.

My point exactly. And why is it cruel to swap out the fish in a couple of years? I am moving the fish to a bigger tank that is more suited for him and getting a tiny blue tang that I like more. I will never return any fish to a LFS. I did that once and will never do it again.

Why do people think is is OK to keep a 6" tang in a 4' x2'x1.5' and complain when I keep a 1" fish in a 24''x24"x20". Do the math.

it is not okay to keep a 6" tang in a 4' tank, and i dont believe that has been said here unless i missed it... and a baby blue, if fed properly, will outgrow a 3' or less tank much faster than 2 years...

My simple excuse is I like Tangs but I don't have the budget to own & maintain a 100+ gallons tank. :)

jus becuz you like them doesnt mean it is ok for you to stuff one in a 50g cube... we are trying to create awareness, not ignorance, or promote selfishness

pallobi i understand your not trying to bash anyone but instead open awareness. i just get crap from people (aka the tang police) about saving this tang. i love him and didn't want him to croak because of a bad seam in a tank. I have a 180 cycling at my uncles which is the future home for this guy. the sad part is now that i'm attached to him i dont want to see him go but it gives me an excuse to visit my uncle lol

Sarcasm is usually when these threads start to go down hill. We are on the right path here and the thread hasn't been closed so let's leave the sarcasm and pointless comparisons out of this one.

If you do the math, a 4'x2'1.5' is a 90G tank and most of the tang police would say that is OK to house a yellow tang. And you still did not tell me why is it cruel to swap out fish.

I think when you keep a fish tank, you are putting any fish you keep in an unnatural environment no matter how you look at it. My point is if keeping the tangs in a small tank will impede their growth then it is cruel but that is not the case. What about growing trees in small containers ..ie. bonsai? That is "art" ? I don't see people complaining about that, is it because trees does not have senses?

Sarcasm is usually when these threads start to go down hill. We are on the right path here and the thread hasn't been closed so let's leave the sarcasm and pointless comparisons out of this one.

Yes I agree with this. now I wonder if my bonsai comparison is a fair one? If not please disregard it and keep the discussion civil.

violation, starting Controversial thread

anyways, I have 2 blue hippos as everyone now knows... the first one I got real small, the 2nd came off of craigslist. Someone was tearing down a tank. Both grew up together and are fine and FAT. whats the big deal?

Back