blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

First, my name is not "boss".

Secondly, based on the lack of any information in your initial post, all a person could do is "assume" your intentions. I, like most, saw it as nothing more than someone waiving their hands to say "Ha Ha I have a hepatus in a 27 gallon tank".

I would like to make an rebuttal but i worry more disciplinary actions would be taken. Can we take this to PM's?

I see the point and guess I jumped to conclusions. Often times folks start threads under the premise of being informational but with the real intent to start an argument. I believe I read too deeply into it.

When people come to you and ask you if say, "how do you think a yellow tang would do in my 10 gallon or 20 gallon L, but he's a tiny little 1" baby."

Tim, perhaps I'm naive but how often has this really happened?

i never meant to start an arguement serpentman... im sorry you felt that way...

i used to do tank maintenance for a lfs near me... when i started, i saw all kinds of unadvised stocking... i know one guy who still has a yellow tang in a 24g bio cube... but to them, i knew nothing and they knew everything... or jus didnt care enough to comprimise their own eye candy...

again, my point here is particularly blues, but since the 20gl statement came up, i would add... i know 3 people from taht job who have yellow in something less than a 24" tank or a tank of 30 gallons.... none of which had any good filtration... im sure the fish wont lat unfortunatly... and soooo many people had blues... but thankfully they were all in nothing less than 100s of at least 4' or bigger... alot of foolish people with big angels in small tanks though...

i never meant to start an arguement serpentman... im sorry you felt that way...

i used to do tank maintenance for a lfs near me... when i started, i saw all kinds of unadvised stocking... i know one guy who still has a yellow tang in a 24g bio cube... but to them, i knew nothing and they knew everything... or jus didnt care enough to comprimise their own eye candy...

again, my point here is particularly blues, but since the 20gl statement came up, i would add... i know 3 people from taht job who have yellow in something less than a 24" tank or a tank of 30 gallons.... none of which had any good filtration... im sure the fish wont lat unfortunatly... and soooo many people had blues... but thankfully they were all in nothing less than 100s of at least 4' or bigger... alot of foolish people with big angels in small tanks though...

Understood and I apologize for the tone I took. I would say this is less an issue specific to tangs and more an issue of improper setups for any marine species which I 100% agree is a problem. "Back in the Day" keeping saltwater was a lot of trial and error and unfortunately, many marine organisms died a premature death due to our ignorance. However, those deaths were not in vain as folks documented failures and we collectively learned from our mistakes. Therefore, in this day and age with the easy access to valuable knowledge, there no longer is a sufficient excuse that folks didn't know better.

However, I think its very important that those of us with experience try not to harshly judge those that hastily jump in and/or do something we disagree with. Its that same reckless passion that needs to be cultivated and nurtured for the next generation of hobbyists. (Just remember your first tank and how excited you were to get it going.) And in exchange, those newbies that do jump in without proper research, really need to heed the advice of those that have been around the block a few times to ensure you have fulfilling experience and mitigate as many issues as possible.

Tim, perhaps I'm naive but how often has this really happened?

The yellow tang was a little overly exaggerated lol

Honestly, you'd be surprised what people say if you go to the fish stores often? I heard people say things that were so obvious it wasn't even funny.

This is why it's so important to make people new to the hobby aware of general rules. I know they're not set in stone, but you can lead them in the right direction.

Ok, another realistic one. "Oh look at that longhorn cowfish isn't he the cutest, he's very small I think he would go great in my nano tank". Well rest asure these guys get nearly a foot to a foot and a half in length. A typical hobbyist would never think they can get nearly that large and have most likely seen them small when they're a juvenile.

This stuff happens too often. People will see a tiny little blue hippo tang and put it in what you will, a 20/30/40 gallon not knowing these guys get to be a foot long!

Last edited:
In defense of good fish stores, because I work at one. People get ****ed when you tell them they can't buy what they want because they don't have the equipment. I do it every day. I would say 25% go to other stores to buy it, or come back avoid me and lie to one of the other sales people so they will sell it to them. The other 75% learn and will go without or find the means to set up the proper system for the animal. Its the "got to have it now" mentality and need for instant gratification that runs rampant in our society. :)

In defense of good fish stores, because I work at one. People get ****ed when you tell them they can't buy what they want because they don't have the equipment. I do it every day. I would say 25% go to other stores to buy it, or come back avoid me and lie to one of the other sales people so they will sell it to them. The other 75% learn and will go without or find the means to set up the proper system for the animal. Its the "got to have it now" mentality and need for instant gratification that runs rampant in our society. :)

i worked for a LFS as well... though i did more of the maintenance for homes and business... i tried to get to know them a bit, and tried to guide them in what i felt would or would not work... i wasnt a crazy person about it or anything, as most i the time, once i got to know them, i didnt even bother becuase they would jus complain when they didnt agree with me and call my boss to jus have someone else do it of jus make sure i did it anyway... so to avoid conflict and loss of hours... unfortunately i didnt work for myself, though i have done some of my own on the side here and there... however it wasnt up to me to lose customers for the people i worked for... so i jus did the work... i will add, i no longer work there for some of the same reasons...
it really is unfortunate, cuz those same people are the first ones to blame someone else when anything goes wrong, but that is another thread for another time i guess lol...

fortunately, no one had a blue tang in anything less than a 5' tank thankfully... but other fish i saw and took care of, i know needed a new home as well...

Lucky for us, fish are reflexive in nature and lack the ability to contemplate happiness, sadness, etc. .

I disagree with this

Granted, I may be a little psychotic when it comes to this hobby, but I have had quite a few different fish that I am certain felt emotion at least to some extent. Ill spare you from a few long stories, but I have certainly seen fish depressed while perfectly healthy, and I have seen fish enjoy interaction to the point that they will go way way out of their way to get you to play, and even get you to play in a certain way because it is what they enjoy the most. Among other instances but my stories correlating to the above leave no doubt in my mind they can be emotional to soem extent

Of course.....the 13 tangs I keep are all in a single 50 gallon tank so maybe I just get a closer look at them than most people...........:celeb1:

Serpentman, thank you for a very mature and thoughtful response. Your response was a perfect example that people do not have to share an opinion to share respect. If everyone on both sides of this discussion would always practice that behavior, these threads would not deterioriate.

Back