Blue Tort

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12222574#post12222574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SSalty
That is where it gets confusing (to me) with SPS. They need LOTS of flow, but direct flow is too much. That doesn't make sense. But I guess it is TRUE because I moved the Tort out of direct flow and it seems to be doing "fine", no more RTN, woohoo..

Can someone please enlighten me on the "proper" flow requirements of SPS?

SPS needs lots of flow.....by that it means flows that are random in nature, surging wave or pulsing at interval....

Pointing a maxijet at it, will slowly causing the skin to 'peel off'....pretty much similar how some cleaners uses compressed water jet to clean floors and external wall....etc

Lots of flow really means lots of circulation......never directly at any type of coral. The reason for this is that much of how corals get rid of waste and other byproducts of metabolism is thru the process fo diffusion. If the water circulating around them is too slow, then they have difficulties diffusing these things away. rapid, indirect flow in their general direction, but not at them, will pull the water near them away and bring in new water. This is the type of flow they need.....generally speaking for SPS...and blue torts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12224543#post12224543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patrick12
Lots of flow really means lots of circulation......never directly at any type of coral. The reason for this is that much of how corals get rid of waste and other byproducts of metabolism is thru the process fo diffusion. If the water circulating around them is too slow, then they have difficulties diffusing these things away. rapid, indirect flow in their general direction, but not at them, will pull the water near them away and bring in new water. This is the type of flow they need.....generally speaking for SPS...and blue torts.

What he said!

Back