Bought a new coral. ID?

CoRPS

Big Time Reefer
Alright so I was getting kind of bored of the hobby, I haven't been paying too much attention to my tank besides basic maintenance for the last couple of months. Everything is doing great and growing but... Just lost a bit of interest. However, over the last week or so I've been getting the itch again. So I went and bought a new coral (haven't done so in a while). I'm pretty sure it's a lobo but I don't know much about these kinds of LPS.

brain.jpg

Got it for $38 locally. It's not all the way inflated in the picture, I took it about 30-45 minutes after it was acclimated into the tank.

Edit: Sorry for the horrible picture. Kind of misplaced my digital so I've been using my iPhone.

I believe it is a lobo too, but don't hold me to that, since I only have one, so I could be wrong. But, from my understanding they do better on the sandbed -- overnight they (( at least mine always has )) inflate greatly, and could get damaged by the surrounding rocks.

I sure I don't feed mine often enough, but it is doing pretty well and is coloring up nicely (( which a touch bleached when I got it )), I just feed it mysis(d) shrimp.

very nice find..... looks like a wellso or a tracky..... you can keep him on your sandbed and feed him mysis...... i have a few of them and they love mysis

Do you need to feed them at a specific time? Or as soon as it smells the mysis it will send out it's feeder tenticles? How's it work?

Edit: Also the dude at the store told me if I put it on the substrate to keep a rock under it. Will it be fine right on the sand? Also, one of my clowns likes to kick up sand every once in a while (couple times a day), will this effect the coral?

Todd,

Yep, Its a Lobo. I agree its best to keep them down on the sand bed.

They can Double in size when is eats. If you have it in a small area, it can get cought on any rocks around it...NOT GOOD.

Mysis is a great food for it. I spot feed mine every 3 to 4 days.

I just turn off the pumps (( so that the mysis isn't blown away )) and set them on it (( near the mouths )) and it will pull it in. I don't have anything under mine (( It is actually a Trachyphyllia radiata, but don't think the care is all that different )) it is just on the sand bed.

The color is a bit off, but here it is starting to eat,

Open1.jpg

Halfway done,

Open3.jpg

Pretty much done,

Open5.jpg

mine will eat any time of the day.... he just has to smell the mysis in the water and he is mouth....lol.... i also dont have a rock under mine..... just give him room to expand with rubbing on any other rock work

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15475623#post15475623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62
Todd,

Very nice pics.

Thanks, I should get a new one --- since it has colored up more, and with the proper white balance.

Todd,

What camera are you using ?

I get some awesome pics & color with mine. Its a Cannon EOS 1-DS Mark lll

I get some great up close pics with the macro lens

:) Awesome!

There was an even bigger one there, but with a little less color for $40. Was thinking about it, but the purples and oranges on this piece pulled me right in.

That definitely looks like a trachyphyllia to me. A store near me has been getting nice multi-colored ones like that lately. One of my personal favs.

The highly convoluted ones like that are sometimes called wellsophyllia, but they are basically the same thing.

Put it on the sandbed in gentle current and moderate light. I wouldn't put anything underneath it. They often start out a little "sucked in" like that but will inflate like a balloon when they are happy. They can be spot fed but I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet. The poking and prodding that sometimes comes with target feeding will only stress it out more.

Sounds good Seapug, thanks man.

Also, just a side note. Why the hell have you been tank of the month for the past 6 months?! I mean, I know your tank is awesome an all but Jesus! :)

RC is in the process of doing some changes. Don't worry, my lame TOTM will be gone soon.

I agree that it looks much more like a Trachy than a Lobo. The care for both of them is pretty similar, though. Medium light, and occasional feedings always worked pretty well for my two Trachyphyllia (as well as my Lobophyllia).

seapug, I love your tank. Im glad they didnt update when there was an SPS dominated tank up. Its nice to see a perfectly layed out mixed reef every time I log on.

Back