Bought new led light fixture from China.

any other reefers got it? im very tempted to get it to try on my 48x24x14 sps dominated reef.. thinking of the malibu S200 (3ft long fixture).. TS, did it cost you more money to customise the LEDS?

How is your light working? Any feed back good or bad yet?

Mace

So far everything is great. I really like the programability of the unit. Lights come on gradually until custom maximum setting then decrease to zero. All four channels are running at less than 50% right now. This upcoming week I will be increasing the power by 5% on all four channels. Corals seem to be doing well. No visible ill effects so far. Unit runs really cool and quite. My chiller hasn't turn on in a week. It use to run at least once a day.

Good stuff to hear post a pic if you notice some changes in your DT if you will. You may have found a sleeper product:)

Very interesting light. I have a 72"x36"x28" reef that I set up in August. Right now I'm running a pair of 4x80w ATI fixtures and have been considering supplementing the with leds. I've been consider adding 2 or 3 buildmyleds fixtures or a diy led fixture between my t5 fixtures. The 60" Malibu might be a real option also.

Very interesting light. I have a 72"x36"x28" reef that I set up in August. Right now I'm running a pair of 4x80w ATI fixtures and have been considering supplementing the with leds. I've been consider adding 2 or 3 buildmyleds fixtures or a diy led fixture between my t5 fixtures. The 60" Malibu might be a real option also.

This light is so much better than the Builmyleds units. I personally saw the BML at Macna and to me they were basically a DIY unit done buy someone else. A 60 inch BML will cost you almost as much as this unit and you'll get 80 watts of power compared to 300 watts. Plus this unit is fully programable. A 60 inch Malibu with your T5 will look awesome. Like I mentioned in my original post. This unit is easily worth $1000 in the USA market.

nice lights, do you have some more tank photos? I am interested in the colours of your mix.

I will post pics of before and after coral growth in a few weeks. However, here are some pics now. One pic is of one of the four clusters. The white leds you see are actually blue and UV they just look white. Sorry pics taken with phone. The six white leds are actually off. Picture was taken while unit was dimming down. The other two pics are of parts of my tank.

Attachments

• 2013-10-21 19.40.21.jpg
    2013-10-21 19.40.21.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2013-10-21 19.40.40.jpg
    2013-10-21 19.40.40.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2013-10-21 19.40.58.jpg
    2013-10-21 19.40.58.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the manufacturer over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the price. Do you know if you can swap out the lenses yourself? I see that they primarily use cool white (12000K) leds. I need read up on that a little bit more. I thought the current trend was to use a mix of warn, neutral and cool whites. I wonder how flexible they are with the leds that you can request. Are you generally pleased with the color that they put out? Does it appear overly blue or are the warmer colors washed out.?

I'm very interested to see how you make out with them.

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the manufacturer over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the price. Do you know if you can swap out the lenses yourself? I see that they primarily use cool white (12000K) leds. I need read up on that a little bit more. I thought the current trend was to use a mix of warn, neutral and cool whites. I wonder how flexible they are with the leds that you can request. Are you generally pleased with the color that they put out? Does it appear overly blue or are the warmer colors washed out.?

I'm very interested to see how you make out with them.

The lenses are easily replaced. The unit has a plexiglass that slides out and it exposes the lenses. I already replaced all four of my red leds from 60 degrees to 80. I used my old lenses from my DIY leds. As far as custom spectrum, you can choose from any of these:
Available spectrum:

410nm UV
450~460 royal blue
460~470 blue
510~520 Green
630 660 RED
3000K /6000K/12000K White

I am very pleased with the color. As far as the daylight white leds. You don't want too many of them. What you really want is as many blues as possible. A 2.5:1 ratio or 3:1 of blue to white is what's best. I had them replace four white leds on each cluster and replaced them with Royal Blues 450nm. I now have only six white and fourteen blues leds and two UV. I added a green and red just for color but not really needed. They will custom make what ever spectrum you want with the available colors. I was surprised how white the lights are at 100% even with the changes I made. I do not recommend getting the standard layout. Too white and corals will not get enough blue which is necessary. Remember that you can control all four channels independently and get the spectrum you want.

Here is the standard layout and my custom one.

Attachments

• Malibu S series Aqaurium LED brochure (1).jpg
    Malibu S series Aqaurium LED brochure (1).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Malibu S Final Cluster.jpg
    Malibu S Final Cluster.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
As I am in the process of purchasing 2 S150, I do have some question to the LEDs itself:
The "UV" 410-430nm, is it actinic or do you think it MAY be "real" UV.
(The reason I ask: 410-430 seems perfect, <400 I rate as a danger)

And you said, that you had already changed some reflectors - are the LED itself replaceable (within a reasonable effort)?

And last but not least: I am afraid, that the 12k maybe to "blue/violet" and so can't compensate the blueish, if I decide I want this. How would you describe the visible impression?

and not to forget: many thanks for the pictures and your fast reply!!

As I am in the process of purchasing 2 S150, I do have some question to the LEDs itself:
The "UV" 410-430nm, is it actinic or do you think it MAY be "real" UV.
(The reason I ask: 410-430 seems perfect, <400 I rate as a danger)

And you said, that you had already changed some reflectors - are the LED itself replaceable (within a reasonable effort)?

And last but not least: I am afraid, that the 12k maybe to "blue/violet" and so can't compensate the blueish, if I decide I want this. How would you describe the visible impression?

and not to forget: many thanks for the pictures and your fast reply!!
As far as replacing the red opticsi did it because the red light reached the bottom like a spot light. Now it's dispersed. The Leds are easily replaced. Solder off and new one on. If you get the standard layout it will be too white. Just my opinion. Mine is whiter than I likeenen with a 2.5:1 ratio but I can adjust spectrum to my preference.

I did not inquire about specifics about the uv Leds. I was just told they were true 410 nm. If you ask the represenative they should tell. Great communication

Looks nice, but it's rather annoying you have to call for pricing, none fo their units have pricing on the website unless I missed it.

Looks nice, but it's rather annoying you have to call for pricing, none fo their units have pricing on the website unless I missed it.

It's not annoying. You ask for the pricing in an email and you get the prices the next day.

Do the fans run continously and if so, are they quiet?

Fans run depending on power consumption. The more power the longer and faster they run. I will tell you, at 50% power, they are silent. The power supply is also turns on and off the same way.

I emailed them Saturday night and had a response Sunday evening. The 60 inch version with a wired controller was a little over $500 shipped.

Thanks for the info Gillguy. I'm seriously considering these vs going the dyi route. Those 12k blues are giving me a little pause. I may consider swapping some out for some neutral and warm whites and blues.

To me thats annoying, why not list the prices on the site?

To each their own, I find that unprofessional and annoying, much like i find LFS without prices annoying.

It's not annoying. You ask for the pricing in an email and you get the prices the next day.

Fans run depending on power consumption. The more power the longer and faster they run. I will tell you, at 50% power, they are silent. The power supply is also turns on and off the same way.

Back