Breeding Clowns???

i recently recieved a pair of Tomato Clowns and was wondering what steps i would have to take if i wanted them to have a chance at breeding

much thanks in advance
LOGAN
 

RightWinger210

New member
Also, is this a special tank only for them with nothing else in it, not even corals or anything, or are they in a community or reef?
 
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848112#post9848112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RightWinger210
Also, is this a special tank only for them with nothing else in it, not even corals or anything, or are they in a community or reef?

they are in a community tank with a polyp and a condy anenome...i am aware that very few clowns host this type of anenome
 
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848509#post9848509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RightWinger210
yeah, but alot of the clownfish people here have experience breeding clownfish, myself included

exactly...i though that i would get better answers from the clown forum
 

RightWinger210

New member
I was just wondering, b/c there are somethings that you can do to make them breed quicker, but may adversely affect other organisms in the tank, such as raising the tank temp to 80-81 F...
 
yea i dont think that i want to do that to the whole tank...is there a possibility that they will do it on their own with out me interfering
 

RightWinger210

New member
Yes, but they might not because of all the other tankmates, they may feel insecure, however, just try to feed feed feed them, as long as it won't adversely affect your water chem. And don't change any water parameters, changing will stress them out and halt their spawning
 

RightWinger210

New member
depends on your water quality, if every time you go to do a water change the nitrates are high, then yes, but water changes are helpful, as long as the water you put back in the tank perfectly matches the water already in the tank
 

JJFly

New member
Start with reading Joyce Wilkerson's Clowfish Breeding book.

That will answer 90% of all your questions. Then give us a shout in the breeding forum. There is a ton of knowledge there. Just reading through some posts will likely answer the other 10% of your questions.
 

JJFly

New member
To answer your question directly though... they will more than likely breed in the tank without doing anything real special. Consistant food is the biggest key... even twice a day is enough. Just feed to saturation (where they don't want anymore food).
 

RightWinger210

New member
Satiation, not saturation :) auto top off is not necessary if you usually top it off (If you don't because your not there then it might be a good investment, but if you do it regularly then there is no need)
 

nightOwl

Premium Member
Hey Logan,
Just to add to what everyone else is saying between this forum, the breeding forum, and the book by Joyce Wilkerson most of questions should be answered. Like anything there is a lot of research and leaning and each situation is a little different. What works for some might not work for others with similar setups so keep that in mind. Don't get frustrated :).
The auto top off I think is needed as it will help keep the chemistry of the water consistent along with regular water changes. Plus its one less thing you have to worry about. From what I have experienced they need consistency be it multiple feedings a day, length of photo period, water quality, etc. I don’t think you can do too much to rush them along and you don't need any special anemone for them. They pretty much spawn when they are comfortable.
My pair spawned for the first time on April 23 of this year. They started courting or pretending like they would spawn back in December of last year...LOL. This was their first time being parents so I guess the honeymoon phase lasted a long time :). The funny thing is mine hosted a Candy Cane Coral and laid eggs not to far from the base. So they pretty much do what they want to do without any assistance for you.
The spawn thread . It took them till a few weeks ago to finally be ready. Every night I stayed up and waited and no luck then finally a few weeks ago they laid some eggs. I expect my next clutch to arrive the week of May 7 th :). As they are behaving the same they did leading up to the week before the first clutch of eggs. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Hope that helps,

Henry
 
thanks henry...if they dont then its not a problem if they do i would be so much happier though...lol...and it show that im doing something right
 

RightWinger210

New member
Breeding can take a long time, so just because they don't breed doesn't mean your not doing something right. I received a breeding pair (They were currently spawning when I purchased them) and it took them around 6 months to breed again, under spawning inducing conditions, so just be patient.
 
Top