Bristle worm help

Saltwat3rAddict

are these bristle worms good or bad? ive read that these things can take out fish? and they leave a good sting. i noticed a tiny tiny one lurking in the rocks as i layed in my bed and observed my tank.(its right next to my bed, my eyes arent that good) soooo are these little things good or bad?

They were once believed to be bad but they are harmless (except if you get pricked by one) Some would suggest to keep an eye on them because once they get to be about 6-8 inches they start to wreak havoc.

IMO leave them be. They're great scavengers, and their population will self regulate. If there's stuff for them to eat, you'll have lots of them. If there isn't any food their population will reduce. They're beneficial in that they eat extra 'junk' in your tank. I have never removed any and don't have any issues related to them.

Watch out though, because they do pack a painful sting if you happen to touch one.

good! they clean up and the common bristle worm you see will not harm anything, they are blamed a lot of the time though because they will be at the scene of a dead fish. There are bad ones out there, but it seems very rare to come across them. They can sting you which isn't live threatening just an annoyance from what I hear, so wear gloves! hope this helps

Oh my gosh, get it out now!!!!! It is the devil!!!

No, I'm just kidding, like sister said they are harmless and they are actually very good at getting into all the tiny little holes in your rock and cleaning up.

HTH

Good luck

They were once believed to be bad but they are harmless (except if you get pricked by one) Some would suggest to keep an eye on them because once they get to be about 6-8 inches they start to wreak havoc.

From what I've read if it is the scavenger type it doesn't matter how big they are, they shouldn't harm anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

alright, cause i did a little red light bug hunting for the first time. veryyyy interesting i must say, i didnt think this much stuff lived in there. i saw a bristle worm and was like uh ohhh. but in the end i guess i have no worries. thanks for the help guys

I second the "wear gloves!" sentiment! If you are not careful, and accidentally brush up against a worm, it's pretty painful, and the bristles are not easy to get out.

Just find my thread "holy crap" in reef discussion. I'm having people tell me to leave them be and others telling me to get them out. They have been in my tank for years and I don't plan on removing them.

i had many in my 36 gal. was worried at first but they never did any harm. helped keep the tank pretty clean. my wife & i watched one about 10-11" rome around some rock for about 30 min. they actualy stayed away from fish & inverts durring feeding, but once they were done those worms would come out looking for scraps. even w/ lights on.

I wore one of those disposable glove while trying to remove it. Its hairs were sharp and strong enough to penetrate the glove and give me quite an itch....

Double or triple up your gloves or suffer

Back