Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

As other have said, I too think you control panel display is quite amazing! It's at times like this I wish I was a millionaire to fly you to my place and build me one lol! I can't wait until your led strips come in to see what the final product looks like.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it before but who made your sump? I'm thinking of getting another one myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

As other have said, I too think you control panel display is quite amazing! It's at times like this I wish I was a millionaire to fly you to my place and build me one lol! I can't wait until your led strips come in to see what the final product looks like.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it before but who made your sump? I'm thinking of getting another one myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I wish you were a millionaire too!... to fly me out of cold Illinois lol.

The sump was made by Elite Aquatics.

Wow! :cool:

Looking amazing cant wait to see pics with leds all in. and some display tank pics! ;)

Could you tell me what thread size the fittings are for the reactors. is it 1/2" or 3/8"?

Just ordered the reactors and want to order all the fittings aswell

Wow! :cool:

Looking amazing cant wait to see pics with leds all in. and some display tank pics! ;)

Could you tell me what thread size the fittings are for the reactors. is it 1/2" or 3/8"?

Just ordered the reactors and want to order all the fittings aswell

They are 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP

Wow....really nice build. The manifold and sump area is super clean. Do you do Audio work? The wires are neatly done lol

That's good! The detail is amazing...I love seeing a clean build that took time.
Will be using your ideas if I get a good deal on an upgrade tank!

Broadfield, I need more pictures of your manifold..I got a reefer and plan to run some reactors :)

Also, I noticed you started putting corals and live stock in the tank a couple of weeks afterward. Did you quickly cycle? Use live rock?

Broadfield, you have an amazing build. I noticed that you switched to a Giesemann Spectra and I wanted to ask a question. I just purchased a Giesemann Spectra. The hanging kit needs a metric M6 bolt. I can't purchase Metric toggle bolts from the hardware store. How did you hang did you hang your Spectra?

I keep seeing other's "see-through" tanks and love the illusion of depth it provides when it's up against a lightly painted wall. I said "F it" and yanked the black film off the back of my Reefer lol. I only had two concerns before doing it: 1) I really didn't want to see cables hanging down the back... would kind of defeat the purpose of doing it and 2) is it going to look goofy with the black overflow still in place. I figured out a way to hide the powerhead cables and light fixture cables... so I went for it. I knew there was nothing I could really do about the overflow being black. But I came up with an easy and slick way to hide the powerhead cables going down the back.

IMG_6805 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

For the light fixture, I simply routed the cables along the backside of the fixture, then dropped the cables down behind the overflow. For the powerheads, I bought some aluminum 90 degree stock, cut to length and then painted them black. Since the Reefer series use black silicone for the seams, the painted black aluminum blends right in... it basically forms a cap around the end of the tank. I simply double stuck the aluminum trim to the corner of the tank and left just enough space for the powerhead cable to pressure fit inside. It also allows

IMG_6803 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Incredible setup! It's impressive how you hide your cables along with everything else you have done here. Thanks for sharing these innovative idea!s!

Last edited:
love this build. inspired by the plumbing and organization. are the unions you use slip or threaded?

ALso curios what is the pvc item at the end of your manifold before it goes to the tanks return line?

U do incredible work I wish I lived by u so u could do my car stereo. Ur tank n sump is so amazing u should win a prize. Where did u get colored fittings please tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back