broken thermometer in tank

levylizard

While cleaning my tank this morning my thermometer broke. I now have glass and little silver balls on the bottme of my tank. Should everything be okay.
Thanks

Absoulutely ge the balls out of the tank, they are made of lead. I just went through this, and lost a clown, a chromis, and a couple snails. Do a good sized water change after you get as many of those balls out as possible. Even if you have to scoop out some of the sand to get them out.
Lead is toxic.
Good Luck!

that happened to me also, luckily it was in my sump, so the balls were easy to get out, all i did was run some carbon after and nonthing died or was effected my it.

siphon the balls out when you do your water change and don't worry about taking the sand out you can replace it if needed. I thought those little balls were mercury not lead. Either way get them out.

I tried my best to get all the balls out, its pretty hard because of all the live rock. Did my weekley water change, guess i will just have to wait it out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6504571#post6504571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean48183
I thought those little balls were mercury not lead.

Mercury is the silver liquid that shows your temp (the thin line). I don't think you are going to find it in the thermometers that we use in an aquarium. I'm also guessing that those little balls are steel and not lead. Try using your cleaning magnet to pick them up with.

Thanks for the tip, the cleaning magnet was able to get alot more of the balls in the sand. Iam assuming since the balls stuck to the magnet they are steel and not as harmful as lead or mercury.

i think that it is so dumb that they manufacture those with lead.

i have one of those cheap glass hydrometers that works great (built the same way), but i don't like to put it in tank for fear of busting it and it's a hastle to draw water and measure in another container.

you know what might actually be a handy thing to do would be to put a thick coat of silicone all around that part of the thermometer or hydrometer.

even if you break the device the silicone and the red plastic cap on the inside should keep the little lead balls contained.

Back