brown spots on clam

I recently purchased my first clam and noticed it had brown spots/patches around it. It seems to be doing well in my tank and looks healthy. All my params are good and stable just wondering if it's the coloration or some sort of disease that affects the tissue.

Thanks,

Jayson

any chance of a picture?

what type of clam is it?

is he in the tank in you description?

how old are your bulbs?

the zooxanthellae algae found in the clams mantle is brown in color. the bright colors we see are a reaction to the strong light we house them under.

newtankpics042.jpg

newtankpics043.jpg

3" Tridacna Crocea

yes, 20g long

brand new bulb 12k reeflux. I bought the clam after I put the new bulb in.

sorry but can you get another pic from above, pumps off?

try to get a close up of the damaged part of the mantle.

is a flame hawk a flame angel? and is he bothering the clam?

See the brown spots on the mantle that's what I'm talking about. It's a flame hawk not an angel and no it doesn't even know the clam is there. I noticed the spots when I bought it from a local guy but didn't think anything of it.

are the spots getting bigger? are there more spots? they could be part of the mantle pattern if he had them when you bought him. can you get a close up shot from above?

i am still quite interested in the area of mantle that is all squished. it could be a param problem, mechanical or a lot worse.

it also looks like the clam is half in the shade? it would be better if you could move him so that his mantle receives full light.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9830780#post9830780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a4twenty
are the spots getting bigger? are there more spots? they could be part of the mantle pattern if he had them when you bought him. can you get a close up shot from above?

i am still quite interested in the area of mantle that is all squished. it could be a param problem, mechanical or a lot worse.

it also looks like the clam is half in the shade? it would be better if you could move him so that his mantle receives full light.

It moved itself in the crevice between the rock. It's actually not pinched it just looks like it. Also it is in direct light about 18" under the light. The spots seem to stay the same in size and shape. Thanks for your help I guess I will keep you updated if anything changes. Here's a quick pic to give you an idea of what my tank looks like.

newtankpics047.jpg

Back