BRS RO/DI 4 stage how to flush membrane and how long?

ant81

I have BRS RO/DI 4 stage plus and i wanted to know how to flush membrane and how long do I have to flush it for? Also how often do u have to do it? Do I discard the water when flushing? I have a 75g and make about 20/25g a week of RO/DI water

You will need a flush kit, and it gets installed on the waste line. It basically adds a valve with a line that is unrestricted (bypasses the flow restrictor). You generally only need to run it maybe once every few runs, and generally only need to run it for about 20-30 seconds, usually at the end of the next time you make some water (just before shutting the system down).

I have BRS RO/DI 4 stage plus and i wanted to know how to flush membrane and how long do I have to flush it for? Also how often do u have to do it? Do I discard the water when flushing? I have a 75g and make about 20/25g a week of RO/DI water

You should have a flush kit already on there, it comes standard with the 4 stage plus. Look on their site and type in flush kit, there is a video on how it looks and where it should be located. Hope that helps!

Turn the valve on the top rear of the unit. You'll know its flushing when the waste line (black) is pushing out more water faster. Turn your TDS meter on "out" on your TDS wil go from a higher number (075 let's say) and slowly drop down to around zero (004 let's say) after 10 minutes or so. I start making DI water when it flushes down to around 004-006 TDS.

You should flush before every use, and after every use if possible.

yes i do have a flush kit already installed on my BRS RO/DI unit. ok so i should flush mine 10min before and 10min after each use?

yes i do have a flush kit already installed on my BRS RO/DI unit. ok so i should flush mine 10min before and 10min after each use?

Every manufacturer will be different, but should only need to flush it after use. How often and for how long, you may need BRS to give a suggestion.

Salt creep happens when the membrane isn't being used so it makes more sense to me to flush it before every use because TDS still creeps after a flush and no use for a few days.
I flush it before because I make RO drinking water and use the brine water for coffee, plants, laundry, etc. so I make sure its flushed before use.
Even flushing after use, waiting a few days & checking before using it again you get TDS creep so I always flush before use but the short flush after use seems inadequate to me.
My BRS 4 stage value plus takes a good long flush before my TDS drops to single digits. I find it is over 070 TDS every time I start it if I haven't used it in a few days up to a week.

Really it depends on how often you use it, or don't use it. People who have it plumbed into an ATO (where it runs multiple times a day) may only need to flush it once or twice a week/2 weeks (maybe longer).

It really doesn't take long, even flushing it for a minute or two is better than nothing, your DI resin & your membrane will last longer.

Maybe Russ or someone will chime in.

Also I thought I would mention it drops from the high range (075) to low teens (13) pretty quickly but when you get to 007 it starts to take a lot longer to drop down. It seriously takes over a minute to drop 001 TDS when it gets down in the 005 range. So maybe that's why I think it takes so long for me, that's also why I've been getting it to around 006-004 I stead of trying to get it any lower, it just starts taking to long.

I guess I am lucky due to my city's water naturally being pretty low in TDS already. Even after sitting for a week, my TDS after the membrane is only about 10-11, and drops to about 6-7, and of course is 0 after di resin. IF I am truly getting the 98% reduction from the membrane, that means my city water is only 350ppm in TDS :)

I was gonna say, my tap TDS is 130-160 (summer/winter) and I get 000 going into my DI resin.
I split the line before the DI resin for making RO drinking water and it is 000 TDS before it touches the DI filter.

I realized I meant to to say turn your switch on the "in" setting sorry.
Brain fart, you knew what I meant though....I hope, I don't want to mess myself or anyone else up!

Hey this time it seemed to drop really fast. I got down to 001 TDS within a a few minutes.(faster than usual, it used to get slow after 005 or so)
Brs 4 stage 75gpd , 5m-5m-DI , 48 PSI (was 50) , 4 month old unit, bottom 1" of rein is slightly brown.

Hey I'm happy it seemed to go by faster but as most of you say it doesn't take long so why not do it? It saves you money for turning a handle a couple times.
;)

So timed my flush & it took 10 minutes to get from wherever it was, in the 060's I believe to get down to 003.

Is it normal to have water come out of the blue line for a BRS 5 stage unit during flush, and would that water be considered pure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is it normal to have water come out of the blue line for a BRS 5 stage unit during flush, and would that water be considered pure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Its just the water line the line prior to use, ya it should read 000 TDS but it may have been sitting awhile if that matters.

I installed a flush kit on my waste line. I'm curious - do I open the output line on the unit and allow it to run? Do I need to do this, or will the flush kit run without it?

Back