BRS was hacked

Just got a letter in the mail for that! First thing that came to mind was damn somebody needs funds for a new build [emoji23]

Great! Glad I just bought something from them. I see they "fixed the issue" but still makes me a little nervous.

Unfortunately I believe I was affected by this. There was $1000 in fraudulent changes on my credit card a few weeks ago & my BRS order was the last legitimate purchase using the card. Capital one removed all fraudulent charges & sent me a new card. I intend on making more purchases from BRS as I have always been happy with them in the past. Using paypal in the future is probably a good idea but I don't blame BRS as they are victims of these thieves just like I was.

"don't blame BRS as they are victims of these thieves"

BRS IS to blame. They stored your/mine and everyone else's information in either plain text or outdated easily de-cryptable format (such as MD5). That's inexcusable in this day and age when everyone is a target.

If they are using their own store/cart or using a 3rd party, it's their responsibility to know the security of their information. They are REQUIRED when accepting payments to perform a PCI compliance check annually. This requires them to execute a checklist that examines all the security measures of their business, including routers, server password handling, is the anti-virus/malware software up to date, etc. Either they just checked it and said good to go, or are clueless when it comes to security.

When you see {insert business name} got hacked - it's ALWAYS the fault of the business. Yes, the data theft is out of control, but that's because someone somewhere fails to secure the data the way it should be. Always.

/rant

I just received my letter ....I like how it says from July 30th 2014 until January 30 2015 ...its pretty funny and sick because I was blaming bank of america I have gone through 3 separate credit cards in that time frame because of fraudulent charges everything from a $989.99 charge at HP online ...to a bunch of small charges of gift cards to best buy and attempted charges on eBay the second time it was almost $500.00 in 6 separate charges and while I was on the phone with bank of america they said the person was trying to make purchases at the same time we were talking and it was being declined and they still kept trying .....I'm going to get a new card today I'm going to call in a few......also how many of you are going to use the free credit monitoring? I almost don't trust those sites either !!!!!!so in a year I won't pay and subscribe and they give my info away oppppssss.....it's pretty crappy on BRS side
...just a rant but now I think I'm shopping somewhere else

I'm still on the fence with PayPal I have used that and had unwanted charges on my card in the past.....just ordered my new card and also I spoke with my banks fraud department and they advise me to not use the free credit monitoring services ......just an fyi

Wow it just hit me. I thought I was in clear as I had my card canceled that I used with them. Well in Jan. My wifes card was drained of $4800. Everything ranging from Paypal, Lowes.com, Macys.com, Khols, and bestbuy.

I told my wife why I got a new card and she says the following. "Isnt BRS that place I purchased your xmas gift from?". I said yes. Wow I wonder if its related.
She has not gotten a letter.

I wouldn't take a chance they can overnight you a new card in 24 hours its not worth having to deal with it later.....jmo ....even my bank said the probability of finding this person is slim to none its not worth it they will just eat the money....the person that got me the second time was even buying children's clothes with the stolen money I'll bet they are probably getting food stamps and welfare for their many kids we support while they sit at home all day thinking of how they can screw the next guy

I'm still on the fence with PayPal I have used that and had unwanted charges on my card in the past.....just ordered my new card and also I spoke with my banks fraud department and they advise me to not use the free credit monitoring services ......just an fyi

I use paypal for ALL my online orders and So far no issues...fingers crossed. :spin3:

Luckily I haven't placed an order with them. But my mother bought me a gift from BRS but ordered it via phone. This hack is just pertaining to the online orders correct?

I always use paypal.

Watch paypal get hacked next, for me saying that. lol..

I find it funny that Premium Aquatics sends out an email shortly after stating all their CC info is secured..

The competition is REAL!! LOL..

Back