Brute Trash Cans

VGT

I see lots of people use the BRUTE model of Rubbermaid trash cans for water storage - is there a particular reason for that (i.e., chemical property). The Roughneck models are generally half the cost.

Food grade and cheap. Home depot is all over the places. Some websites sell nice containers but the shipping price is just as much as the container.

Food grade, they do not leach anything, I always keep enough to hold all water volume in case of emergency, or I gotta drain the tank to catch difficult fish or something.

Well, they may leach something but nothing significant that has caused issues with anyone with a reeftank.

I use a Rubbermaid 29g clear tote for limewater. Brute slimjim for ATO rodi, 55g brute for new saltmixing, 60g brute for rodi ready to be transferred to any of the previously mentioned Rubbermaid products.

I have 3 Brutes. One for NSW, one for RODI, and one for waste water. Since there's no sink in the basement yet I've been rolling it out to the backyard and dumping it for years. The brutes are great, quick, and easy. That being said, if I had to purchase 4 right away, I'd probably foot the cost for the vertical storage tanks right up front instead. I have vertical storage tanks now but when I upgraded I tore down two other tanks I planned to keep running and the Brutes are still enough. But when I add my QT tanks and frag grow out tank, I am switching over to the vertical tanks.

The Brutes seem to have thicker walls and are NSF certified, but I've been using the Roughneck cans for years without issue.

I have been using the Brutes for a few years now without any issues. I do empty both completely at least once a year to give them a bleach and or vinegar bath but they hold up well. I will have to upgrade size as I have more tanks then my water storage system can accommodate. First Contact, where did you get your vertical tanks from?

Hi fraggin corals,

Can't remember the distributor anymore. It may have been National Tank Outlet or something similar. I know Rural King is pretty good and would start there. Almost everyone goes with the Ace Roto Molds made by Den Hartog. Google is your friend here. Look for the manufacturers site to determine what you want and then a distributor to sell it.

Shipping is a killer. I got mine through a group buy on a club forum which helps reduce the shipping dramatically.

I highly recommend Brutes if you are going the trash container route. Before I started using the Brutes for holding rodi and mixing saltwater, I used cheaper trash containers that ended up splitting and leaking. Never had a Brute crack/leak - they're suprisingly durable. Also, it's my understanding that they are food grade. Either way, never had an issue with them leaching.

Back