BTA Help Please

Bayslayer

My BTA isnt looking good and i hope somebody can help. I just got it about 2 months ago and its looked good up until this week when I came home and found my clownfish of two years dead. I went away over the weekend and had some tank issues while I was gone, to make a long story short my tank overflowed and I lost some water so the girlfriend had to fix it. When I got home I did a water change and tested everything, everything tested perfect but my salinity did change from 1.025 to 1.023 but other than that I had 0 for eveything. Another thing that might have to do with it is that I changed my bulb last week from 14K to 20K. The anenome just is all shrivled and wont expand and its been like this since yesterday. I tried feeding it and it took the food and closed up around it but I found the piece the next day stuck in the overflow, I dont know if was a too big of a piece or what. If anybody has any idea of whats happening please let me know, I love this thing.

When your tank overflowed how much water was lost before your girlfriend tried to fix it. The salinity may have dropped dramatically until she fixed the problem...or was the 1.025 to 1.023 drop what happened when you left before you made new water. Honestly is just sounds like a stressed out nem...look for other signs in the tank, the clown was dead, how are your coral reacting. A sudden drop in salinity can stress out species and they can release waste and ammonia into the tank so on and so on...though in your case i doubt it since the drop was not that significant. Also...what kind of salt are you using...if you used a different type of salt in your water change or if you didn't let the salt mix in some RO water for at least 24 hours, this may explain whats going on. As for the lighting situation...it may have been to intense and too sudden of a change over for the nem...try shortening your "day light" hours to half the time you have them on now and gradually work it back up one hour at a time every four days...just some suggestions...could be anything though

I would say I lost 2 gallons and she topped it back off with what was left of my SW which was about a gallon and about a gallon of FW so thats why the salinity dropped and I did do a water change before I left with catalina water becasue thats all the LFS had and I usually use Tropic Marine so mayber it didnt like the catalina water. I did a 10 gallon water change last night so hopefully that will help, well see when I get home. Thanks for the reply.

I bet thats exactly why the nem is acting funny...Sorry I coudln't give you more of a focused "experts response" but give it a few days and keep trying to coax it with some food and I bet it will bounce back. Let us know...

So I got home last night and the nem did look better, wasnt 100% but deffinetly better. im sure tonight it should be back to normal. Thanks for your help.

Back