bubble algae

Michael7979

Can you tell me what animal will eat this stuff?
I would rather not put an emerald crab in my tank.
Any other ideas?

Unless you want to add anther fish, emerald crabs would be best. I would also like to know if anything else eats them so im tagging along. :)

ulua56 -- are you sure or are they 'hit and miss'?

Actually have been thinking of adding one of those anyways. So that would work out well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509560#post6509560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ulua56
desjardini sailfin tang (red sea)

Are they hit or miss cuz today I tried to remove the bubble from the tank and after I pryed it off the rock with a spoon I couldn't keep it under my control and now it's in the back of my tank. I saw my Red Sea sailfin tang put it in its mouth, but a second later it spit it out.

My emerald did not eat it. I have two types of bubble. The round orb kind and the oblong ballon shape ones. He doesn't touch them.

I had bubble algae and got an emerald crab to help kick it. Emerald crabs usually wont eat the big ones but if you siphone out the big ones and then let him eat the smaller ones. I did this for my tank and it worked great. I suggested an emerald crab to a buddy of mine that had bubble also but really bad. The bubbles were about 4cm in diameter and he doesnt have any bubbles now.

I got an emerald crab to eat my buble algea 4 months ago and he has been just short of useless. I am still removing 20-30 bubbles a week by hand. Man those bubbles grow FAST. Good news is the crab hasn't disturbed anything else and he seems to be fat and happy...I guess he's found other algea to chow down on.

R

my 2 cents - weird as it may sound, but my yellow tang seems to munching on my bubble algae. i can't seem to find an emerald crab anywhere, but strange as it is, i have watched my yellow tang attack the stuff, play with it, spit it out, and low and behold, eat it. i was shocked. My tank is infested with the stuff, hopefully this guy keeps munching away. such a cool personality too. swims all over, attacks the bubbles, attacks the seaweed on the clip. its like a game. cool fish

my 2 cents - weird as it may sound, but my yellow tang seems to munching on my bubble algae. i can't seem to find an emerald crab anywhere, but strange as it is, i have watched my yellow tang attack the stuff, play with it, spit it out, and low and behold, eat it. i was shocked. My tank is infested with the stuff, hopefully this guy keeps munching away. such a cool personality too. swims all over, attacks the bubbles, attacks the seaweed on the clip. its like a game. cool fish

HELP! I too am seeing Bubble Algae Pop up all over the place. I had 2 Emerald Crabs in their, but haven't seem in them in weeks...now Im seeing this Algae. I wonder if thats a coincidence?
Anyway, I tried removing on but it popped, so Im afraid to touch the rest. Im gonna add a few more Emeralds, I guess. Maybe try to remove the infested rocks and scrub and swish them.... I dont know. Well, at least I dont have hair algae. :(

I should have cooked my rock.

well I have heard that some have had success with foxfaces' and rabbitfish. Still a little hit or miss in every equation.

IT's CONFIRMED!

I added 6 Emeralds to my 120 today. Low and behold I actually witnessed one eat a good size bubble!

Now, since he popped it while devouring it, I am gauranteed that my Emeralds will have an endless supply of Bubble Algae to dine on.

:)

Back