Bubble Magus Skimmers

solitude127

Proud user of IO Salt!
I just recently purchased a Bubble Magus Curve A5 for my Red Sea Reefer 170. So far, I've been really impressed with house quiet it is and sleek it looks. I've only been running it for a few days and was wondering how long does it take to break in. I currently have it in about 7.5" of water and I can't get it to stop overflowing. Not really an issue right now since my tank is just breaking in.

If there's one thing I know about the Bubble Magus, it's that the low --> high dial is reverse. This might be dumb and you've likely already tried it, but try turning it to high and see if it settles down :)

If there's one thing I know about the Bubble Magus, it's that the low --> high dial is reverse. This might be dumb and you've likely already tried it, but try turning it to high and see if it settles down :)

Thank you for the suggestion. The valve is completely open.

My BM5 took probably 6 weeks to breakin in a new system. In hindsight I wouldn't have even installed it until my system had been running a month or two.

where did you buy it from and how much?
I see it listed on ebay, but it is strange the listing says the DC pump controller is not included.

aren't you supposed to be able to control the DC pump speed?

where did you buy it from and how much?
I see it listed on ebay, but it is strange the listing says the DC pump controller is not included.

aren't you supposed to be able to control the DC pump speed?

I got it from a LFS and I'm assuming that to keep cost down they did not include a controller. But I could be totally wrong. But yes, it is a DC pump because the pump has a separate power supply.

My BM5 took probably 6 weeks to breakin in a new system. In hindsight I wouldn't have even installed it until my system had been running a month or two.

Oh wow, ok. thanks for the insight. This is my first BM skimmer and so far I'm pretty impressed.

Curve 5 is recommended to sit in 9.5-11 inches of water. Still early but try raising it a bit. Skim should get darker daily in a new system. Well that's how mine broke in. I'm running a nac 9

I ran all of mine skimmers, including three Curve 5's, in a bucket of vinegar/ water solution - broke in within a day or so...

Bubble magus has developed their own pump to curve a series (blue/White) and they are self-adjusting, so it's not supposed to have a controller.
I have it and it is the quietest skimmer i have owned, even bette than the Royal exclusiv i had before!

Mine took about 1 week to break in. You really need to make sure that the depth of water your skimmer sits in your sump is correct.

The dial is correct; Max flows the most water while 1 flows the least. 1 increases the water level in the skimmer because it cant escape the skimmer as easy.

I ran all of mine skimmers, including three Curve 5's, in a bucket of vinegar/ water solution - broke in within a day or so...

This should make a huge difference.

After spending countless hours over the course of a couple weeks, I was able to get the Curve 5 working best in 9 15/16" water depth (I tried many depths) with the outlet set to 3-Max (closer to 3). This skimmer is extremely sensitive to changes in depth. Once it is tuned, it performs quite well though.

Here are some pics
f22e63d4f73f47418811012e208266b1.jpg

02760d849e287115778a3e9151e3b59d.jpg

It also has this pinching device to limit the air intake
b47f83c5b5d499130285a30023613836.jpg

I just recently purchased a Bubble Magus Curve A5 for my Red Sea Reefer 170. So far, I've been really impressed with house quiet it is and sleek it looks. I've only been running it for a few days and was wondering how long does it take to break in. I currently have it in about 7.5" of water and I can't get it to stop overflowing. Not really an issue right now since my tank is just breaking in.
U adjust the dryer skim.

i have a curve 7 and love it! It sits in about 8" or so of water and hasnt had any issues yet. Been running it about 4 months

Back