Bugs in my Tank

Diehl

Hello TBS, I tryed the other boards but no one replied. I bought my LR from Gulf View which is probably the same rock you have. But anyway I have been killing AEGIDS in my tank for the last 2-3weeks, I have killed around 7 or 8 so far. If you don't allready know they are parasites that attach to fish and drink there blood. Last night I killed two very small ones on my Percula's I think they were just hatched. Have you had any problems with these in your rock from your customers? And any idea how I can get rid of them? I attached a picture but its very blurry, sorry. Its around 1/4" in length.

Hmn. Ugh. I saw one but didn't know what it was...

Hmn. Ugh. I saw one but didn't know what it was...

Well, I just got my rock a few weeks ago and have been seeing new creatures every day. I definitely have at least one of those guys in my tank and the only thing I've put in my tank is rock from TB Saltwater. So it sounds like those guys could be fairly common in those waters.

So you are 100% sure those things parasites that hurt fish? Do they have any other ways to feed? I don't have any fish in my system and probably won't for a while longer -- do you think this thing would starve?

Is this what you have?
fb6da913.jpg

fb6da921.jpg

Yes thats it, I have researched about these things since I noticed them and the only way of getting rid of them is put a cheap fish in there and after lights are out use a flashlight and look at your fish I'm sure he will have one on. Just net the fish its fairly easy because the fish can't swim that good with them on. For your other question thats the only way they feed and if you want to starve them it will take about 6 months thats what Dr. Ron told me on this sight. Do a search and you will find me. I have killed around 12-15 of these things in the last two weeks. But most of all if they have babies then you have really big problems. They will kill your fish. I am afraid my Percula's won't be able to handle much more of this:(

They may or may not be parasitic. I had them in my tanks and they didn't bother any fish. But boy does it hurt if they bite you. A new kind of pain. Eventually they died out.
I would try putting in a piece of raw fish to attract them, much less expensive and easier than getting them off of a "cheap" fish.
Might also be easy work for a cleaner shrimp.

good luck,

Bruce

Bruce said:
They may or may not be parasitic. I had them in my tanks and they didn't bother any fish. But boy does it hurt if they bite you. A new kind of pain. Eventually they died out.
I would try putting in a piece of raw fish to attract them, much less expensive and easier than getting them off of a "cheap" fish.

good luck,

Bruce

They are Parasites do a search they are called AEGIDS, I have allready pulled 4 of them off my fish

Bruce said:

good luck,

Bruce
You probably just didn't see them on your fish.
They attach at night when the lights are off and drop off again before the lights come back on.
The pictures above are from one I caught while looking at my Scooter at 3am and wondering why he was swimming around the tank instead of sleeping in the sand like he usually does, It was stuck to the side of his face!

lllosingit said:
You probably just didn't see them on your fish.
They attach at night when the lights are off and drop off again before the lights come back on.
The pictures above are from one I caught while looking at my Scooter at 3am and wondering why he was swimming around the tank instead of sleeping in the sand like he usually does, It was stuck to the side of his face!

Thats right they drop off before lights come on. My percula was on the powerhead strainer with one on its face last night. So every night I go through the same routine with the flashlight, if I did'nt my fish would be dead by now. It causes alot of stress to the fish. I have to go through this again tonight Can't wait:uzi:

Diehl, The aegids are natural predators that live in the substrate. There are other animals that prey on them such as blue pencerd arrow crabs which also eat brissle worms. With the gulf water temp being 87.5 degrees this does promote these animals to be more active. As far as I know no one has had a problem with them in our rock, they mostly live in the sand bottom. Thank you for your email and if you would like more detailed info please call mary at 8138753574...markTBS...>>>:)

Back