Building an acrylic sump. Machined edges for gluing or not? Significantly adds cost to the project.

Jimmi328

I will be building an acrylic sump (24” L x 16” D x 14” H). The online plastics dealer I will buy from gives an option, “machined edges for gluing”. They charge an extra $1.00 per linear foot which will significantly increase the total sum of this project. Is this necessary for those who have done this type of project before?
Considering the acrylic adhesive melts the plastic, perhaps I could skip this added cost. But I don’t know for sure.

I will be building an acrylic sump (24” L x 16” D x 14” H). The online plastics dealer I will buy from gives an option, “machined edges for gluing”. They charge an extra $1.00 per linear foot which will significantly increase the total sum of this project. Is this necessary for those who have done this type of project before?
Considering the acrylic adhesive melts the plastic, perhaps I could skip this added cost. But I don’t know for sure.
I'm pretty sure people cut and glue their own acrylic so obviously there would be no machining. Can they give an example of what their raw cuts look like? That would probably help you decide if it's risky or not.

@Acrylics @EnderG60

Yes. Tap Plastics does show a routed edge versus a non-routed edge. I cut that section out from their website and posted it here. However; I don't think this pic can help me (us) decide.

Attachments

• RoutedEdgeForGluing.png
    RoutedEdgeForGluing.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 31
Routed edges is the way to go if you want a nice seam. But is it worth it $$ once you add it all up?

I'd do it. Crisp edges makes a huge difference in integrity of joint. Last think you want is a leaking sump.

Place I buy acrylic from cnc machine cuts it free to my sizes. I’ve built a sump without any prep and the seams turned out pretty good. I used the pin method bs just capillary action method and so the bottom of the sheet had a chance to get softer and make decent joints.

I will be building an acrylic sump (24” L x 16” D x 14” H). The online plastics dealer I will buy from gives an option, “machined edges for gluing”. They charge an extra $1.00 per linear foot which will significantly increase the total sum of this project.
How much is the additional charge?

Back