Kinda sump-less build from scratch

naz42

So I've been out of the hobby for a while but I've had this idea for a tank that i want to build for a while now. I've had a 4' x 8' x 1/2" acrylic I've been holding on to for when I get the reef bug again. What i want to do is build highly efficient mixed reef tank and not use a sump below. I want to eliminate the sump so that I'm not running a large return pump. Also i have a bad back and never liked doing sump maintenance in a cabinet under the tank. The tank i want to build is going to along the line of a biocube or something like that with a compartment in the tank to house Heaters, skimmers, media etc. The tank is going to be 4' x 2' x 2' with a compartment 2' x 6". I'm thinking i will use a HOB skimmer and using that like a return pump. Having the skimmer pump in the over flow and the skimmer outlet into the display tank. Also will be putting a drain in the bottom of the overflow area for easy water changes. the over flow will hold approximately 11 gallons and with the drain in there i will be able to keep it very clean. I have not started planning equipment yet but i will be looking for an over sized skimmer. Probably a reefbreeders photon 48 V2+ LED light. Haven't really looked at flow yet but that's still a ways off.

Attachments

• Tank design.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 4
I like the design. One suggestion: make the overflow wrap all the way around the sump wall. The wider overflow helps eliminate a surface film on the tank water, allowing better air/water exchange.

Back