Building my Dream: It's a Miracles!

My skimmer has for the past month been producing skimmate so dry that it does not overflow into the cup and down the drain but comes out of the holes in the lid. The lid currently has a 2.5 pound weight on it as the skimmate was lifting the lid off the cup. Same skimmersince birth of tank in 2012 with same dial setting.
What do you think?

Will check impeller thanks. But keep in mind skimmer is still producing alot, its just super dry. I thought it was more of water chemistry issue. Checked Nitrates. Reading was 0 or .25 depending on ur interpretation

Aipstasia control.
Aipstasia eating filefish- never ate aipstasia and then got eaten by brittle star or carpet nem.
Twenty Peppermint shrimp - just hid in rocks till they all diasappeared.
Precision Solutions Aipstasia solution- so far so good, very easy to use.

As you may already found out, using solution to think you're killing the aptaisia only makes them bigger and stronger and spread more when they come back. I never used to believe that but it's happening to me now.
My tank was the cleanest in terms of aptaisia is when I had a Majestic Angelfsih in the tank. It picked every single one clean. However, it also picked on my acans so I sold it. After a month without the Majestic, I notice aptaisia and used Aptaisia X and now, I'm getting some pretty noticeable aptaisia. Not sure what to do now. May try a copperband next.

Will check impeller thanks. But keep in mind skimmer is still producing alot, its just super dry. I thought it was more of water chemistry issue. Checked Nitrates. Reading was 0 or .25 depending on ur interpretation

Have any pictures to post?
It sounds to me like your not getting the air volume required to lift the waste out of the neck. I would suspect the venturi or airline is restricted in some way if there is nothing wrong with the impeller.

Have you otherwise made any changes? Flow rate through the sump would also have an effect on your skimmer.

As you may already found out, using solution to think you're killing the aptaisia only makes them bigger and stronger and spread more when they come back. I never used to believe that but it's happening to me now.
My tank was the cleanest in terms of aptaisia is when I had a Majestic Angelfsih in the tank. It picked every single one clean. However, it also picked on my acans so I sold it. After a month without the Majestic, I notice aptaisia and used Aptaisia X and now, I'm getting some pretty noticeable aptaisia. Not sure what to do now. May try a copperband next.
Bergheria nudibranchs did it for me but they are EXPENSIVE..... I might try the majestic angel or matted filefish

posted using alternating currents.....

First off, have to say thanks. You gave me something to do at a slow day at work. Read through the whole thread. lol.

The aptasia problem sucks, ive been there on the same level. I tried shrimp as you did, they only seem to work if its a smaller area IME. like it worked for you in the bucket. Ive also had a copperband who would nip at them, and eat from my hand. mp40 took his life. So it was my filefish, a matted one, wild, not one of these ORA ones. Tried the captive and didnt work. The filefish works wonders, now i just have some in my overflow , otherwise clean.

Love the fuge, im in the process of moving and setting up a large system such as yourself. MAkes me want to incorporate one into my system.

Just learned something- frozen silversides, the type purchased at your lfs are Odontesthes regia, the same as smelts, often found gutted and beheaded at your grocery store. BIG difference in price! Silversides may be more nutritious but to compensate, I add Zoecon.
Your thoughts?

This 33" Tesselata is in the basement 135 gallon plumbed in line with the 900 gallon system

Last edited:
In the next week or so I will be cleaning this tank up and posting for sale. Just a heads up if anyone is interested.

Back