Building my Dream: It's a Miracles!

Noticed you don't have the mesh screen on your Vortechs, why is that? I had a beautiful green BTA crawl into one of mine before I put them on .... He didn't survive. Since putting the screens on no issues and I have 6 different nems now ... Just a thought ..

Since recent incident i have. Post #645

Fortunately mine did survive

Aipstasia control.
Aipstasia eating filefish- never ate aipstasia and then got eaten by brittle star or carpet nem.
Twenty Peppermint shrimp - just hid in rocks till they all diasappeared.
Precision Solutions Aipstasia solution- so far so good, very easy to use.

Just read the whole thread. Haven't been on DVRC in a while (just renewed my membership) and must have missed this.
Awesome build - all of it. That's one heck of a DT, dream worthy indeed. Love the super fuge you've got going there. Interesting to see the chaeto won over the caulerpa. In my fuges, its always caulerpa that wins.

There's only something like 200 types of moray to choose from. The colour of its skin and eyes helps. What colour is the inside of its mouth? Knowing where it came from would also help narrow the search.

Here's the rest of the stuff you might want to use in your search:

Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Anguilliformes
Family: Muraenidae Moray eels
Subfamily: Muraeninae
Genus: Gymnothorax

Here's how far I got in guessing.

Beyond this you're going to have get into counting how many rays in its fins.

Dave.M

There's only something like 200 types of moray to choose from. The colour of its skin and eyes helps. What colour is the inside of its mouth? Knowing where it came from would also help narrow the search.

Here's the rest of the stuff you might want to use in your search:

Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Anguilliformes
Family: Muraenidae Moray eels
Subfamily: Muraeninae
Genus: Gymnothorax

Here's how far I got in guessing.

Beyond this you're going to have get into counting how many rays in its fins.

Dave.M

Story is, owner bought the eel from a breeder in nj and, after owning for awhile, brought it to my lfs where it is currently for sale. So, i would need to speak to owner to locate breeder. I have not observed inside if its mouth. This may be a 7 foot species in which case i would not be interested. Thanks for the reference.

Eel or Octopus?

Eel or Octopus?

So my total system is up to 900 gallons now and would like to set up the 135 in the basement as either eel tank or octopus. Any advice much appreciated.

Will not post any photos of DT. Ashamed to say i allowed pulsing zenia to spread like weed and smother some corals. Currently in the process of removing all zenia and placing it in the connected 135 in the basement.
I really need to evaluate the escape routes in the 135 before i attempt the octopus but i do think it could work.

Advice Needed

Advice Needed

Newly acquired 5" Red Sea Regal Angelfish
Purchased: 1/19/15
Shipped to lfs: 1/12/15
Condition: Fat, great color, no visible sign of disease. Normal respiration.
Behavior: Calm, swimming, exploratory.
Eating: have only observed it pick but not eat dry seaweed.
Foods offered with and without garlic: frozen brine, frozen mysis, shrimp (from grocery store torn in tiny pieces), homegrown sponge(the white type that grows in dark environment), dry seaweed. Live mysid shrimp.
Current housing:75 gallon tank, low flow, lighting on one side only. Most of tank is wrapped in paper to limit stress from outside environment.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mine was eating pellets right out of the bag. Wouldn't touch anything else for about two months and has finally started eating pe mysis and brine but still not as aggressively as pellets.

Back