Building my Dream: It's a Miracles!

A couple of pieces of 4" PVC tube should do for hiding places, are easy to keep clean and safe if medication should become necessary.

For foods try shrimp, clams, mussels from local live seafood vendor.

Dave.M

A couple of pieces of 4" PVC tube should do for hiding places, are easy to keep clean and safe if medication should become necessary.

For foods try shrimp, clams, mussels from local live seafood vendor.

Dave.M

Should i crack the shell and offer whole or should i prepare it by choping and dicing?

I would say the "spotted moray" is Muraena retifera. Just a guess, but it looks like it. It will only get three feet.

I got mine to eat clams on the half shell, leave it in for about 30 minutes. Definitely give it a place to hide out and relax .

I used to chop stuff up but now I don't bother - just serve it on the half-shell (well scrubbed, of course). There was a young Russian girl on here for a time who showed us how she tied the seafood to a piece of 1" PVC and suspended that in the water for her fish to eat from. I'd like to try that sometime.

Dave.M

Time for a long overdue tank overhaul. Two major priorities is complete removal of pulsing xenia which has been allowed to grow out of control and kill several corals and the other is an aipstasia infestation on my nuclear cloud shaped rock located on left side of tank. The addition of 20 ? Peppermint shrimp in the past did nothing to alleviate the problem. The shrimp just never came out to forage. So this time i removed the rock and placed it in a 75 gallon that is plumbed in line with system and added 10 more peppermints to the 75. Hopefully the shrimp will forage in the secure environment with no predators.

Oh and btw, that product that ive used in past did not work in the long run. It appeared to kill the aiptasia but later came back with a vengeance.

Have you tried a matted file fish? It worked much better than shrimp for me, but enjoyed the taste of zoas after the anemones were gone. Luckily caught in time

The shrimp only come out to do their work at night, and it can take them a month or two to do their job. Leaving an infestation to get that bad is hardly the shrimps' fault. Some people find a copper band or a file fish will do the job but this seems to depend on the personal tastes of each individual fish.

Dave.M

Aiptasia update. I placed my infested boulder in a 75 gallon with ten shrimp. It worked well.
Thanks for the replies.

Awesome read, just read this thread from start to finish. Would love to get a tank that big one day. And wow, that aiptasia is crazy, just found a piece on my live rock, nano is just over a month old. Figured I'm doing something right since it just appeared after a month in the tank, so was happy to see more life, but that will have to be some life I'll be stamping out fast.

Just redid plumbing. My dolphin ampmaster 4750 was giving me app 2400 gph at 9 feet. It is now giving me app 1 (one) gph at 12 feet. I should have checked into flow chart before hand. Need recommendations for an external pump that gives 2500+gph at 12 feet.
Considering the Reeflo mant ray.

Time for a long overdue tank overhaul. Two major priorities is complete removal of pulsing xenia which has been allowed to grow out of control and kill several corals and the other is an aipstasia infestation on my nuclear cloud shaped rock located on left side of tank. The addition of 20 ? Peppermint shrimp in the past did nothing to alleviate the problem. The shrimp just never came out to forage. So this time i removed the rock and placed it in a 75 gallon that is plumbed in line with system and added 10 more peppermints to the 75. Hopefully the shrimp will forage in the secure environment with no predators.

OMG!!! How long did it take to turn into that??

this is a great build and that remote fuge is amazing.

But really...your first two posts were awesome:

the 4 (or 5?) years of asking your wife about getting a tank

and

B. the 2 dogs looking mischeviously down the hole.

Just changed my return pump to a REEFLO HAMMERHEAD BARACUDA HYBRID GOLD. Very impressed with the flow but my fish are afraid. Thinking of valving back a bit to allow them to become accustomed.

Back