Bulk heads must be glued?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7546397#post7546397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
When the gasket is on the same side as the nut, it can't seal. The water will just flow out through the external threads.

I like the flange to be on the inside of the tank, but i suppose you could do either way.

Rich is 100% correct. The gasket always goes on the flange side.

Wait wait wait. ddenham please re-word that. You mean to say you would put the nut on the 'inside'?

I've got several tanks I would like to drill and 99% of them will be drilled so the part that sticks out will be on the outside. However like I said I have room for two 20highs where my sump will be only if they are right on top of each other. Top view

<DD>______________<BR>
<DD>| <BR>
<DD>| Tank1 <BR>
<DD>| <BR>
<DD>|_| |_________<BR>
<DD>| | | <BR>
<DD>| Tank2 <BR>
<DD>| <BR>
<DD>|_____________<BR>

If I do it I will probably need to find a special fitting/bit/dohicky to fit inside my bulk heads. The bulk heads I got are threaded on the inside, but nothing I could find would go inside it. Not only that, but it almost has be more of a pipe then a bit because it needs to go through two bulk heads.

Jonathon

another option....
have you looked into using uniseals?

they work out better for you in this application

no, i put the nut on the outside, and the flange on the inside like this one:
sump_j_bulkhead.jpg

from Melevs reef

Ther nut can go on the dry side or the wet side. It does not matter.

The gasket MUST go on the FLANGE side. It is a very simple concept. The GASKET is sandwiched between the FLANGE and the TANK WALL. A GASKET on the NUT side is 100% USELESS. It does nothing to seal the threads, so even if it is sandwiched between the NUT and the TANK WALL, water will still seep down the threads.

Again, put the FLANGE on whatever side is CONVENIENT.

4 uniseals is exactly what I need. One for each hole, two holes in each tank. Then when the water reaches the right height it moves into the other tank. Awesome. They are cheap to! Hopefully at some point today I'll be putting a bulk head on that 10g tank for a fresh water app. Thank you so much everyone.

Jon

Back