Bulk Reef Supply Security Breach

Jone

I just got a notice that Bulk Reef Supply had a security breach,,this is for time period of July 30,2014 -January 21,2015..
I have already got an Early Warning from my credit card company this past Monday of fraud activity on my credit card..
I can assume this is were it is coming from ..
SO INVESTIGATE YOUR PURCHASES WITH BRS NOW.......

Good to know.

I got hacked 2 weeks ago on a card that I had used with them. I was wondering what transaction was breached. I am not saying for certain it was BRS but the timing is right. Whomever stole the info hit the card for a small amount then cleaned it out via Western union cash transfers. I caught it within minutes and was on the phone with the bank within 5 minutes and they took care of it.

well after months of denying it I guess they finally came about and owned up to it.

I just bought something from them the other night and used a CC through paypal so hopefully this doesnt bite me. Thankfully banks are much better dealing with fraud these days.

Who did you get the notice from? I've been hacked twice and made a few orders from them during that time.
Did they send it to you?

I had some fraud activity going on with my last CC and couldn't figure how they got my info, but this explains it now.

I had some people in Turkey use my card for 3k right after Thanksgiving. I only use the card at BRS and DR's F&S. My card company caught it since the charges were originating in Turkey. I called both places and got a thank you we will look into it.

I had some fraud activity going on with my last CC and couldn't figure how they got my info, but this explains it now.

You would be amazed at how easy it is to get CC info if you do any online shopping. Many sites all use the same security like Verisign which is now not really secure like it used to be.

You would be amazed at how easy it is to get CC info if you do any online shopping. Many sites all use the same security like Verisign which is now not really secure like it used to be.

sadly true.

i wonder how this data was compromised. i don't store my credit card with BRS (makes it waaaaaaay to easy to buy things, much harder to impulsively order loads of stuff if i have to actually get up off my butt and go find my debit card), hopefully my information wasn't breached. it would be the third time in two years that i've had my information stolen.

first time was from using my debit card at a local franchise of a sub shop, second time was my employer at the time getting hacked.

quantum encryption can't come to mainstream use soon enough.

sadly true.

i wonder how this data was compromised. i don't store my credit card with BRS (makes it waaaaaaay to easy to buy things, much harder to impulsively order loads of stuff if i have to actually get up off my butt and go find my debit card), hopefully my information wasn't breached. it would be the third time in two years that i've had my information stolen.

first time was from using my debit card at a local franchise of a sub shop, second time was my employer at the time getting hacked.

quantum encryption can't come to mainstream use soon enough.

whether you store it with them or not it is stored on their transaction history logs. I worked in retail before coming to the banking side of things which gives me an odd insight into the lackluster security in the US for our CC.

Also since I was more on the marketing side in retail it is horrifying to many people what levels of data I can gather about you.

The encryption and such will be great to guard your personal info but the CC info should be better protected by some of the upcoming token tech and the newer cards being released.

Ive had my card replaced by my bank three times in the last 6 months due to security breeches. One was at Lowes. All three were at retail stores and not online. I check my account every day for fraudulent charges, but haven't had any, Yet.

whether you store it with them or not it is stored on their transaction history logs. I worked in retail before coming to the banking side of things which gives me an odd insight into the lackluster security in the US for our CC.

Also since I was more on the marketing side in retail it is horrifying to many people what levels of data I can gather about you.

The encryption and such will be great to guard your personal info but the CC info should be better protected by some of the upcoming token tech and the newer cards being released.

if they're PCI-DSS compliant they shouldn't be storing any of that information unless explicitly selected. they also shouldn't be storing the CVV2 number on the back of the card (unless the regs have changed on that).

if they're authing a card not present transaction over a network, typically they just encrypt and send the info and get back a confirmation code from the processor. no need to store anything in that scenario.

Bad news that is happened. But on the plus side BRS issued a statement regarding the event that took place. And in my eyes that says a lot. It is a rather large window that was compromised. Its a double edge sword. No company wants this to happen, but when it does the smart companies rebuilt their security!

Three cards , American express, discover and mastercard, hacked within three weeks. A 100 dollar charge at a Subway in Ca., 500 dollar charge at a PF Chang in NY, and a 1000 dollar charge at a London hotel. It has become epidemic but the card companies were on it within an hour calling me, texting and e-mailing me. Just a word to the wise and tell your card companies if you're leaving town and where you are going otherwise you may find that your hotel charges will be rejected.

I had two new charges on my account this morning when I checked it, this may explain it. Will be calling the bank in the morning.

I've had my credit card number stolen recently also. They tried to use it to buy $11,000 worth of art from a gallery in California which my bank didn't approve but they got away with $550 worth of Amc theater movie tickets. I've placed a few orders with BRS in that time frame also.

Back