Bulkheads...

I'm drilling my sump, I need 42mm bulkheads according to the chart on marine depot. do you know where I can get them? I've been to makuman, sun-sea, and a plumbing hardware strore near my house. I'm sure they have them, but I dont know what to ask for. I orderer my bits online for a great price, they should be here anyday. What is the differnce between double threaded and standard bulkheads?

Where did you get your bits from? I got my diamond dremel bits for $8 at kanahide. The pack I bought has 4 bits total but only 2 are useable for drilling a tank. Standard buldheads are slip type and not threaded.

I got mine at Cainz (Mainland Japan DIY store). Not positive of the metric size, but this picture is of my bulkhead (~1 1/2") and the stand pipe is ~2".

danabulkhead.jpg

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Are you using that bulkhead to go through glass? If so, is there a gasket sealing it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8087312#post8087312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dastank
I used a little aquarium silicon to seal mine, no gasket and it's never leaked.

+1. I put a bead of silicone around the hole (on the bottom of the tank) and a bead on both sides of the bulkhead that touch the tank...and loaded up the threads. Mine do have a little groove that it looks liek you could put an o-ring, but Mike convinced me to load it up with silicone.

I agree, silicone or a homemade rubber gasket will work. but like I said, I wouldn't use them if they are under pressure ie, used for return of a closed loop.

Back