Butterfly with Popeye

MACH5

I have a Pyramid Butterfly that has suddenly developed what seems to be popeye. The fish is otherwise acting fine. What is the best course of action for this type of thing? FYI the fish is in an SPS tank.

Is it on one eye or both? One suggests trauma, and the resulting abrasion on the eye causes swelling. This type of popeye will usually correct itself with good conditions and time. Both eyes suggests a bacterial infection, in which case the fish should be removed and treated in a hospital tank with antibiotics.

Espom salt works well, 1Tsp per 5 gallons. As mentioned above, sometimes clears on its own.

I've seen this suggested as well, forgot to mention it. I've seen huge variations in recommended dosage (from 1 Tbs per 10g to 1 tsp per 10g). How long has the eye been swollen? Is the fish still eating?

Espom salt works well, 1Tsp per 5 gallons. As mentioned above, sometimes clears on its own.

Thanks!

I've seen this suggested as well, forgot to mention it. I've seen huge variations in recommended dosage (from 1 Tbs per 10g to 1 tsp per 10g). How long has the eye been swollen? Is the fish still eating?

Yes fish still eating and acting completely normal as far as I can tell. He just got this eye issue yesterday.

Back